Question on yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffondg

Reaction score
I prepared my first ever yeast starter yesterday for my scheduled brewing of a Stone IPA clone today. My question is that I see a little activity in my starter but it's definitely not bubbling away like I would like. I really would like to brew today as I work during the week and won't have a chance to brew. Should I just pitch the starter I have, or should I hold off until next weekend, assuming it's possible to keep the yeast viable that long?

thanks,

Eric

Most starters will ferment out in a day or two, sometimes without much visible activity. You should be OK to pitch it, assuming this isn't a huge IPA (in which case, I would be more cautious).

Oh, should have also said that you could also keep that yeast in the fridge for a week with no problem whatsoever. But let it ferment out fully first (i.e., give it two full days), and then cool it in the fridge.

Thanks, it very well may have fermented out over night. I'm mashing now so there's no turning back :)

Back