Question on my yeast, moreso for AHS.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridemywideglide

Reaction score
I got my shipment today (for the 999 Barleywine), and the yeast pack (Wyeast 1056) is swelled up enough that I cant feel the pack inside. I can't squeeze it enough to find it. Is it possible it's broken during shipment? Should I open it and go ahead and make a starter? I don't have any DME (what little I have is for bottling another batch) but I do have extra 2-row I could steep and boil. I'm worried I'll get brewed-up and have no yeast this weekend.. :(

How much should I start with on the starter?

on edit: I'll take answers from anyone tho.. :)

It broke, make your starter and brew. Mash 4-6 oz. of 2-row in a pint of water at 150F for an hour, sparge with another pint & use that for the starter. No need to boil it. Adjust the gravity to 1.040, if it's too high.

And always have dry yeast for backup. (Though I'm not sure if there is an appropriate strain for Barleywine)

And always have dry yeast for backup. (Though I'm not sure if there is an appropriate strain for Barleywine)

Safeale US-05 is supposed to be the same strain as WY1056. It is what I'm gonna use for my 999 barleywine.

I've got a quart of water at 155 with 6oz in it. 30 minutes left. Can't seem to get the stove much lower than that.
BS said that should give me 1041 no sparge. I'll see where it comes in and adjust.
I do have dry yeast in the freezer but it's some version of muntons, I don't think it would be suitable.

Thanks for the quick replys.

Well I get a starter batch @1039, chilled and ready so I pop open the yeast and there sits the pouch, still intact. All worried for nothing it seems. I snipped it and mixed the two.
Yeast did smell tho. Don't know how to describe it, pretty pungent. We'll see if it takes off. If not then I won't be brewing this weekend.:mad:

Back