Question for Pico Pro Users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a back to back brew in a 5 gallon keg? So basically brew picopack, then refill the reservoir and keg with the needed amount of water and brew another of the same picopack into the same 5 gallon keg (basically a 2.5 gallon wort brew). Any ideas on if this would work, do you need to clean inbetween them, other concerns? I have two of the same picopacks and am upgrading to the Z this summer so I wanted to start my 5 gallon keg collection and was thinking of an excuse to buy and use them early.

I don't think you can do this. However, you can achieve the same result if you're willing to wash a 1.75G keg:

1) Brew the first Pak in the 5 gallon keg, and set it aside
2) Brew the second Pak in the 1.75 gallon keg
3) Use the rack function to transfer the second batch of wort into the 5 gallon keg
4) Cool and ferment as normal

No, I never do, beyond letting it do its automated rinse cycle. Here's how I would do it:

1. Start with one 1.75 and one 5 gallon keg. Must be clean, but sanitization not absolutely necessary since you're going to be boiling in them (I typically do anyway, before I store them)
2. Brew the first Pak into the 5 gallon, set it aside and allow the machine to complete its rinse.
3. Brew the second Pak into the 1.75 gallon, and allow the machine to complete its rinse
4. Connect the racking tube between the two kegs' out posts
5. Run the rack cycle from the 1.75 into the 5. You now have ~2.5 gallons in the 5 gallon keg. Ferment as normal.
6. Clean (and sanitize, if you desire) the 1.75G keg

I think you could probably get 3 Paks into one 5G. Folks who know more than I do can chime in on if that leaves enough headspace for fermenting 3.75G of beer, but I suspect it would. In that case, I would redo steps 3-5, after just a quick rinse of the 1.75 keg--no need to clean or sanitize, since you're boiling the same beer in it.

After all that, I'd use the 1.75 to do a deep clean on the machine, and then sanitize it and put it away for next time.

Back