Pepsi Company, CO2 bottle exchange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunshowgreg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
let me start by saying I did research this prior to starting this thread. However what I found was thread started from 2008 2012 still entertaining to read, but I figured as old as it is, I might just go ahead and ask the question

There’s a gentleman that is selling two CO2 tanks for $90.20 pounds and they have the Pepsi company logo sticker thing on it. Am I able to take this to Arc3 or Airgas and have it exchanged not filled exchanged does anyone have an experience with any issues I believe they belong to a deceased relative and he is cleaning out the house

I thought that this was a pretty good deal. Haven’t bought it yet but before I do, I just wanted to ask around. Two tanks for $90 total the best deal I found so far was one tank for $75. Thanks.

I bought one at a garage sale long ago that said Pepsi on it. The welding place took it on exchange no questions asked. But, clearly it was an old tank. The one I got back on exchange I think might be stamped Pepsi on it too.

Depending on your gas supplier, they will likely charge you $20-40 extra for bringing in an older tank that has an expired hydro test date. Other than that, shouldn't be many surprises.

Pepsi stopped claiming those decades ago, so no worries there. As was mentioned, though, the pressure testing is most likely out of date, so make sure you go to some place that doesn't check to exchange them. Most places I've dealt with don't care, but out of date hydro testing can get expensive real quick if they pay attention to it.

You pays your money and you takes your chance. It’s up to you to find out if your gas supplier cares.
if it makes you feel any better I bet half the keggles on this site were originally stolen too.

if it makes you feel any better I bet half the keggles on this site were originally stolen too.
If you count paying the keg deposit as legitimately purchased, then I'd agree that about half the keggles are probably stolen.

Anything you buy on the used market could have been stolen goods at some point. There's really no way to know if the whole chain of custody has been legal. When I sell a full CO2 tank to a customer, I assume it's never coming back. That's why it's priced such that I don't lose money if that happens.

I always get pulled into the controversy about Sanke kegs and the main problem is that the replacement cost of the empty was never charged as the deposit. If the deposit was $100, no one would sell it to the scrap yard for $30.

Anything you buy on the used market could have been stolen goods at some point. There's really no way to know if the whole chain of custody has been legal. When I sell a full CO2 tank to a customer, I assume it's never coming back. That's why it's priced such that I don't lose money if that happens.

I always get pulled into the controversy about Sanke kegs and the main problem is that the replacement cost of the empty was never charged as the deposit. If the deposit was $100, no one would sell it to the scrap yard for $30.
On that note what do you recommend for an old sankey keg laying around. Not sure where it came from but I didn’t get it.

90 sounds kinda high for a couple old tanks. but ya gotta bring one in to take one out...so gotta start somewhere

Funny to see this popping up.

I bought an empty 20-pound tank from Cornykeg.com, and today I swapped it at Airgas. They gave me a nasty-looking blue tank with a huge sticker on it declaring it the property of the Pepsi bottling company of Tampa, Florida. I thought it was weird, but they also sold me a C25 tank that had another company's name on the neck.

On the up side, the fill charge was about 1.5 times the cost of 5 pounds, so the gas is about 3/8 as expensive.

90 sounds kinda high for a couple old tanks. but ya gotta bring one in to take one out...so gotta start somewhere

Stated as 90 pounds, or bit over 100 US for two tanks. Even if it's actually dollars 90 for two would be a decent price in my neck of the woods.

A previous quick scan of marketplace relative to me comes up around $100 each. Yes, some less, some more but around $100 each was fairly typical.

The Airgas place by me exchanges tanks - Pepsi, Coke, steel, aluminum, in date, out of date, they don't care. Our location does not fill them, but sends to another location to do it so they could care less. I just got one from them that says coke. Call and ask your local place.

In terms of sanke kegs, no one cares about the kegs except the brewery. The distributor could care less, the retailer or the restaurant (or end user), too. If you have a keg, without the original deposit paperwork, you can't return it for cash. Why would the retailer come out of pocket for a random keg, then chase the distributor for their money? Sometimes the retailer will let you exchange them for a full one since they'remaking a sale.

If the keg is a local brewery, you bring it by there and they usually good for a free pint or two as a thanks. The big guys kegs, forget it.

Stated as 90 pounds, or bit over 100 US for two tanks. Even if it's actually dollars 90 for two would be a decent price in my neck of the woods.

A previous quick scan of marketplace relative to me comes up around $100 each. Yes, some less, some more but around $100 each was fairly typical.
Sorry I meant they were 90$ USD and 20 lbs cylinders

The Airgas place by me exchanges tanks - Pepsi, Coke, steel, aluminum, in date, out of date, they don't care. Our location does not fill them, but sends to another location to do it so they could care less. I just got one from them that says coke. Call and ask your local place.

In terms of sanke kegs, no one cares about the kegs except the brewery. The distributor could care less, the retailer or the restaurant (or end user), too. If you have a keg, without the original deposit paperwork, you can't return it for cash. Why would the retailer come out of pocket for a random keg, then chase the distributor for their money? Sometimes the retailer will let you exchange them for a full one since they'remaking a sale.

If the keg is a local brewery, you bring it by there and they usually good for a free pint or two as a thanks. The big guys kegs, forget it.
Nope just a standard keg I appear to be stuck with. I don’t think anyone wants it so I might see if a local place will take it off my hands.

Back