Question about using my propane turkey fryer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc0811

Reaction score
When I use my propane turkey fryer and bring my water to a boil I have It turned all the way up to bring my 2.5 gal. of water to a boil faster. Now when it comes to a boil and I add my LME and DME should I lower my flame to just barley a boil or leave it on high for the duration of steeping and then hop addition?

When I use my propane turkey fryer and bring my water to a boil I have It turned all the way up to bring my 2.5 gal. of water to a boil faster.

Not knowing about your propane burner or pot size, I suspect that you can boil far more than 2.5 gallons.

Anyways, most people suggest that you remove your pot completely from the heat source, add some of the extract, then return the pot to the burner, before adding the rest of your extract at flame out.

- Removing the pot from the burner prevents wort scorching

- Adding a little extract at the beginning of the boil ensures hop isomerization (I think...)
- Adding the rest of the extract at flameout prevents wort scorching, and protects you against maillard reactions which would otherwise give you darker beer colour than you would otherwise have.

Here is more information on late extract additions (http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/02/20/better-beer-with-late-malt-extract-additions/)

When you are adding either LME or DME your flame should be off. Extract is heavy and will sink to the bottom immediately, where it can scorch easily. Once it is fully incorporated into your water, then turn the flame back on. You want it to be a rolling boil, not a violent one. If you are getting splashing wort during your boil, that is too high of a boil, this can cause your wort to darken more than you want.

Not to sure the exact size of my pot but I can easily put 7 gallons in it maybe more, I just used 2.5 gal as that is what the recipe called for to get a quick boil going. Thanks for the information guys I will have to remember all this next brew. I did have a boil over when I had my back turned for a quick minute what a mess good thing it was on the deck rather in the house. My fermenter is on its 3rd day and has slowed down to bubbling every 5-6 seconds now.

Latest posts

Back