Quantcast

Question about S-04

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

thedude123

Reaction score
Will this work for a Pale Ale or a Blonde Ale? I usually use SA-05 but I have 4 packets of SA-04 and I am not sure what to do with them.

OP
thedude123

thedude123

Reaction score
Does it not work in a Pale ale because it doesn't go well with a strong hop flavor?

The Pol

Reaction score
S-04 has been AWESOME in my Blondes... wonder if they know?

Saccharomyces

Be good to your yeast...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Does it not work in a Pale ale because it doesn't go well with a strong hop flavor?
It accentuates the malt flavor which is working against you in a pale ale. You want a drier finish so the hops come through.

That said if you are doing AG and can mash low (150*F for 75 min) it would attenuate like the US-05 and would be worth giving a shot in a pale ale...

OP
thedude123

thedude123

Reaction score
Yes I am doing AG, why would the lower mashing temp make the yeast attenuate more?

ifishsum

Reaction score
Mashing at a slightly lower temperature yields a higher percentage of fermentable sugars from your grains.

discgolfin

Reaction score
Good for blonde ale, not so much for a pale ale IMO.
Agreed..I did 10 gallons of home grown cascade pale ale with 5 gallon s05 and 5 gallon s04. The s04 has a fair amount of fruity estery and ended up at 1.017..s05 was 1.015.

s05 is best APA and IPA yeast IMO

J

mew

Reaction score
I like my blondes clean, so I wouldn't use the S-04 for that application. I like some of my stouts kind of fruity/estery, so some kind of British-style stout would be great with S-04.

TeleTwanger

Reaction score
call me crazy but s04 is ideal for PAs. Ales are supposed to have esters and malt flavor...If you ferment low (64-66) it will be very clean.

The Pol

Reaction score
I have used S-04 in my APAs and they have been phenominal! Fermented at 65F

Rudeboy

Reaction score
I think it depends if you're talking about an APA or a British Pale Ale. I think you'd be ok with a British Pale Ale. Diffenately not an American.

Still it would be better suited for Stouts, Porters, Milds, etc.

Rudeboy

The Pol

Reaction score
I think it depends if you're talking about an APA or a British Pale Ale. I think you'd be ok with a British Pale Ale. Diffenately not an American.

Still it would be better suited for Stouts, Porters, Milds, etc.

Rudeboy
Next time I am up in Edmonton I will have to let ya know! I fly Chicago to Edmonton on occassion!

thePudwhack

Reaction score
Well, what about a Redhook ESB clone? I just pitched S-04 onto my first AG 2 days ago. Is this supposed to be a maltier beer that would benefit from the fruity/estery profile?

I have the ingredients for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale look alike next weekend, and had already planned to use the S05 for that.

TeleTwanger

Reaction score
Well, what about a Redhook ESB clone? I just pitched S-04 onto my first AG 2 days ago. Is this supposed to be a maltier beer that would benefit from the fruity/estery profile?

I have the ingredients for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale look alike next weekend, and had already planned to use the S05 for that.
The only ale I would use 05 over 04 would be a West Coast APA like Sierra Nevada but, even that I'd rather use the East Coast Ale.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
let us not forget that english bitters are in fact pale ales. so depending on whether you are aiming for an english pale ale or an american pale ale, the characteristics of s-04 may or may not be desirable.