Question about S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude123

Reaction score
Will this work for a Pale Ale or a Blonde Ale? I usually use SA-05 but I have 4 packets of SA-04 and I am not sure what to do with them.

S-04 has been AWESOME in my Blondes... wonder if they know?

Does it not work in a Pale ale because it doesn't go well with a strong hop flavor?

It accentuates the malt flavor which is working against you in a pale ale. You want a drier finish so the hops come through.

That said if you are doing AG and can mash low (150*F for 75 min) it would attenuate like the US-05 and would be worth giving a shot in a pale ale...

Mashing at a slightly lower temperature yields a higher percentage of fermentable sugars from your grains.

I like my blondes clean, so I wouldn't use the S-04 for that application. I like some of my stouts kind of fruity/estery, so some kind of British-style stout would be great with S-04.

call me crazy but s04 is ideal for PAs. Ales are supposed to have esters and malt flavor...If you ferment low (64-66) it will be very clean.

I have used S-04 in my APAs and they have been phenominal! Fermented at 65F

I think it depends if you're talking about an APA or a British Pale Ale. I think you'd be ok with a British Pale Ale. Diffenately not an American.

Still it would be better suited for Stouts, Porters, Milds, etc.

Rudeboy

I think it depends if you're talking about an APA or a British Pale Ale. I think you'd be ok with a British Pale Ale. Diffenately not an American.

Still it would be better suited for Stouts, Porters, Milds, etc.

Rudeboy

Next time I am up in Edmonton I will have to let ya know! I fly Chicago to Edmonton on occassion!

Well, what about a Redhook ESB clone? I just pitched S-04 onto my first AG 2 days ago. Is this supposed to be a maltier beer that would benefit from the fruity/estery profile?

I have the ingredients for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale look alike next weekend, and had already planned to use the S05 for that.

Well, what about a Redhook ESB clone? I just pitched S-04 onto my first AG 2 days ago. Is this supposed to be a maltier beer that would benefit from the fruity/estery profile?

I have the ingredients for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale look alike next weekend, and had already planned to use the S05 for that.

The only ale I would use 05 over 04 would be a West Coast APA like Sierra Nevada but, even that I'd rather use the East Coast Ale.

let us not forget that english bitters are in fact pale ales. so depending on whether you are aiming for an english pale ale or an american pale ale, the characteristics of s-04 may or may not be desirable.

Back