Question about my IPA color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimreturns

Reaction score
I was trying to create my own 90min IPA extract recipe (2.5 gal) and I used 4lbs of light DME, but I mashed (steeped?) 14oz of Victory malt in 1 liter of water at 150F for 45 minutes before the boil. Did I just insure that my IPA is going to be way too dark?

I don't think victory can convert itself so I would say you steeped not mashed. It's not that dark, like 25-28L, so it's not going to make your beer too dark. It's about the same L as the amber malt the clone calls for.

I was trying to create my own 90min IPA extract recipe (2.5 gal) and I used 4lbs of light DME, but I mashed (steeped?) 14oz of Victory malt in 1 liter of water at 150F for 45 minutes before the boil. Did I just insure that my IPA is going to be way too dark?

From one "slim" to another, can you post up the whole recipe? You know, for my ever-expanding recipe file? Also, let us know how it turns out in a few weeks/months.

:mug:

Yep. As previously stated, it's a 2.5gal batch. I steeped 14oz of Victory malt in 1 liter at 150F for 45min. 90 minute 2.5gal boil. 4lbs of Light DME.
14g Amarillo
14g Columbus
9g Simcoe
7g Warrior
Hops divided into 12 portions and added every 7.5 minutes starting at 90.
Used a 1 liter starter of WLP051.
Then I'll dryhop 7g of all 4 hops in secondary for 5 days.

From What I can tell (not sure how accurate my software is) the SMU should be around 11 and the IBUs are 120+. ABV should be somewhere between 6.5 and 8

Back