Question about milling malted barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeykler

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to brewing beer and all the malted barley I purchase is normally milled/crushed and mixed together for me by the supplier, I've recently decided to try another (cheaper) supplier and theirs has come separated in 1KG blocks and not crushed...

So my question is, what's the best way to crush / mill the malted barley in the home without any fancy milling equipment into the right amount of milled/crushed?

Thanks in advance

I don't have the time nor do I want to waste the money testing all the various ways to mill grain. What I have used with BIAB is the cheapest Corona mill available. Since BIAB is capable of using very finely milled grain I set my mill as tight as I can and get very good efficiency. Efficiency is driven by the fineness of the milling but if you decide to use a conventional mash tun you are inherently limited by the necessity of intact grain husks and larger particles to be able to drain the tun. The Corona can be set coarser to account for that but it isn't as easy as some of the other type mills.

Back