Question about juice wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunchbag_rodriguez

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting some Welches 46 oz juice containers, pouring a cup of juice out, adding a cup of sugar, teaspoon of yeast, and letting them sit for a few months. What would be the results? Will it be too sweet? abv?

lunchbag_rodriguez said:
I'm thinking of getting some Welches 46 oz juice containers, pouring a cup of juice out, adding a cup of sugar, teaspoon of yeast, and letting them sit for a few months. What would be the results? Will it be too sweet? abv?

Use wine yeast (no bread yeast). It will ferment just fine. Make sure you get preservative free juice. If it contains sorbate it won't work.

Use wine yeast (no bread yeast). It will ferment just fine. Make sure you get preservative free juice. If it contains sorbate it won't work.

I'm freaking out... it's 20 degrees outside, and I got wine yeast in the mail (the packages were REALLY cold) bringing them now to room temp.... is the yeast dead?? I ordered them from online....

Cold makes yeast dormant, most all of us store our yeast in the fridge.

Once the yeast is warmed back up just take a small glass of your juice and mix some sugar in it. With it all at room temp dump the yeast in it and cover the cup with plastic wrap. Wait 10-15 minutes (most the time won't take that long) and look to see if its foaming up. If so the juice is good to ferment with and the yeast is fine, dump it in the jug and wait on the wine.

Back