Question about gravity and bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richthrift

Reaction score
I'm brewing an Irish Stout at the moment. This is coming from an extract kit. The kit states that I should have started fermenting with a gravity of 1.020. Which I did. They say that you can bottle in about a week. I usually wait two weeks before bottling beer I've made from a kit. The kit also states that my final gravity should be around 1.010. I took a hydrometer reading today (exactly 1 week after it started fermenting.) and I am still at 1.020. Should I just wait another couple of days and take another hydro reading or is it safe to bottle now?

.... wait, the kit said your original gravity should be 1.020?

Something's wrong there.

And as far as bottling, it's safe (i.e. fermentation has stopped) when you take a couple gravity readings a couple days apart and they're the same.

Okay I mistyped haha. Beginning gravity is said to be 1.043-1.045. Its now down to 1.020 though it says the Final gravity should be 1.010-1.012

Personally, I leave everything in the fermentor(s) for a minimum of 4 weeks. Not only does this give most brews plenty of time to ferment fully, but also allows the yeast to clean up most off flavors.

Patience is definitely a virtue when brewing.

Bob

Personally, I leave everything in the fermentor(s) for a minimum of 4 weeks. Not only does this give most brews plenty of time to ferment fully, but also allows the yeast to clean up most off flavors.

Patience is definitely a virtue when brewing.

Bob

This is quite true. Which is why I usually wait a week more than the directions say when I brew with a kit. I'm just excited about this brew because stouts are my favorite haha. I'm definitely gonna wait and do a couple more hydro tests. I want to get that final G down to at least 1.012. If I bottle now Ill have an abv of just above 3% and I'd like it be at least 5.

Latest posts

Back