Question about bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StizzTheBiz

Reaction score
Hey all,

My friend and I have just recently got into home brewing. We are in the phase of study the subject, and gathering the equipment we will need for our first batch. I have started to look around for bottles, and I have a few questions.

Is there a website that everyone prefers? I was hoping not to spend too much on bottle, but cheap bottles may be a contradiction.

From what I understand brown bottles are preferred; however, I was thinking about using some clear, screw on cap, wine bottles. Has anyone done this?

Any comments or opinions on the matter would be great!

Thanks!

Just make sure to keep the bottles in a darker area during bottle conditioning phase.

I always bought my bottles with beer in them. 22 or 12 oz brown bottles with pop tops. It's a lot more fun to buy them that way.

Most people reuse bottles from commercial beer. Wine bottles are not meant to hold pressure, do not use those.

You should only use bottles that have held carbonated beverages (e.g. champagne, not wine). clear and green are fine but will skunk quickly so keep them in the dark. I've heard screw tops leak although I have no experience with them.

Buy them with beer in them and don't use screw tops either. :mug:

I always bought my bottles with beer in them. 22 or 12 oz brown bottles with pop tops. It's a lot more fun to buy them that way.

Haha...Now there's some good advice.;) I considered collecting bottles, but I realized that my friends and I most often have screw on lids. I may have to start a new trend.

I'll stay away from the wine bottle.

Most of my beer comes with pop-tops, so I've been pretty lucky so far bottle-wise. Guinness Extra Stout bottles are my favorite, dark, no writing on the bottles & they look cool.

If you find you can't drink 50 beers in 2 weeks, ask around..post something on craigslist. I'm sure there are homebrewers who are getting into kegging or such. I know I have some extra bottles lying around...but I'm going to hang onto them for just a bit longer..

Most of my beer comes with pop-tops, so I've been pretty lucky so far bottle-wise. Guinness Extra Stout bottles are my favorite, dark, no writing on the bottles & they look cool.

Yeah, they do look like an ideal bottle. I just need to develop a palate for Guinness.:D

I get all of my bottles free from my city recycling center. I would call your local center and see if you can swing by and grab some bottles. Most don't mind if you bring a box or some bags and grab whatever you want. I then remove the labels with Oxyclean Versatile Free, then clean a second time to be sure, then sanitize... and that's it. Nothing paid but the time to go get them. Just make sure they are pop tops.

If you find you can't drink 50 beers in 2 weeks, ask around..post something on craigslist. I'm sure there are homebrewers who are getting into kegging or such. I know I have some extra bottles lying around...but I'm going to hang onto them for just a bit longer..

Thanks! I am going to but an ad on craigslist, and see if I get any bites.

I get all of my bottles free from my city recycling center. I would call your local center and see if you can swing by and grab some bottles. Most don't mind if you bring a box or some bags and grab whatever you want. I then remove the labels with Oxyclean Versatile Free, then clean a second time to be sure, then sanitize... and that's it. Nothing paid but the time to go get them. Just make sure they are pop tops.

Excellent idea! I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

Can anyone help me? I’m making wine, some of the wine bottles I received have stains that I can remove from the bottle. Will this pose an issue? Or is it just a stain?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
Can anyone help me? I’m making wine, some of the wine bottles I received have stains that I can remove from the bottle. Will this pose an issue? Or is it just a stain?
I'm not absolutely sure, but are you talking about a sediment ring at the bottom? If so, yes you do need to get rid of it. It's a potential hiding spot for contaminants. Clean 1st, then sanitize is the maxim. I would soak it with hot water with PBW or oxyclean and a dollop of bleach. If you can reach a bottle brush down there, that would help. When clean, rinse very well to get rid of the detergent and bleach. Then the bottle will be ready to sanitize.

Back