Question about Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnorkySnacks

Reaction score
1st ever brew is a Scottish Ale. Now i have read on several posts that the "airlock" really has no meaning and that the real indicator is the gravity reading. I have not seen one bubble in the airlock since i started fermentation at about 9pm on wednesday 10/12. So i took your guys advice and took a gravity reading this morning. The OG scale is 1.041-1.044... FG scale is 1.017-1.024. My reading this morning was 1.030. So im headed in the right direction. But should i be concerned about NOT seeing ONE bubble at all in the airlock? Thanks.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated

Don't pay attention to the bubbles, the fact that the gravity is dropping and that there are no bubbles just means that the CO2 is escaping somewhere else or that the airlock is stuck. Either way no worries.

As you stated, bubbles are not really much of an indication of anything. You may have a leak depending on the type of fermentor. I did that once by not sealing the lid tight on one of my batches and things still turned out fine. Just monitor the gravity and all will be fine.

beerloaf

I would still recommend trying to figure out where the CO2 is escaping, and get the airlock bubbling the way it should be. While it's no indication of whether fermentation is complete, it is a good indication of whether it's taking place. And let's face it, there's a reason we ferment in sealed containers and use an airlock in the first place. If CO2 can escape from somewhere other than the airlock, then O2 and bacteria can enter after fermentation is complete. Even though it's a remote possibility, I'd want to seal up the fermenter.

Back