Quaker IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AStoutYeoman

Reaction score
So I recently brewed an IPA using the magical combo of Simcoe and Amarillo hops and I ended up being very happy with it...except for one thing: body. The thing turned out very nice and quaffable, but I personally felt the mouthfeel was a bit too watery. I'm a strictly extract brewer for now (not by choice, I assure you) so this is something I've experienced before. The question I asked myself was this:

Can't I toss some oats in there next time?

Heck, it works for an oatmeal stout, why not this? Due to a generous hopping, the relatively small (as I understand it) amount of sweetness this would impart would only add balance to it and certainly aid in head retention and viscosity. I think I'd be happy to have a little oatiness mingling in there with the flavors of the Amarillo.

I'm not asking for suggestions of how to add these qualities in other ways..I've explored many of the options there...I'm just interested to see what folks thought. If they've tried it before and how it came out?

I can provide a recipe if necessary, but am just looking for now for a general opinion on the concept.

You could look into either adding some carapils to your steeping grains (if you are brewing with extracts) or your mash, or adding maltodextrin to the batch as a whole. I've used carapils, and it does work, and doesn't necessarily have to be mashed. I've never used maltodextrin.

Oats need to be mashed. Any effect you get from steeping them in an extract beer is from leaching out unconverted and unfermentable gums, starch and protein. That is less than ideal. Look into doing a mini-mash. It can be done with minimal equipment. A pound of pale malt, and a half pound each of oats and dextrin malt would probably do wonders for the beer's body and give you a nice kick in the flavor department too.

:mug:

Big Ed and jds are both giving excellent advice. I would only add that carapils has a good effect on the body of my biers, but not the head. For added head retention, stability, etc. I use flaked wheat, about 6 oz.

I urge most anyone that's comfortable with thier process to undertake mini-mash/partial-mash brewing.

Schlante,
Phillip

Thanks all. I should have been clear that I intended to mini-mash...I do understand they need to be mashed. I also already am using carapils in this particular recipe...

I do appreciate your suggestions, but like I was saying, I'm not really looking for other options...I am familiar and have tried them all with mostly success. My question should have been simply phrased:

"What are your thoughts on using oats in an IPA?"

Back