QA23 yeast attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billingsbrew

Reaction score
I'm making a peach-Ginger melomel. OG 1.100, using QA23. After two weeks it's only down to 1.060. PH is at 3.6, plenty of aeration and nutrients. Started a pomegranate melomel one week earlier using 71B and it's done. (OG1.20/FG 1.10) I've never used the QA23 yeast before and I was wondering what outcome others may have had using this yeast. There is activity in the airlock however, it is listed as an aggressive strain and obviously this is not happening. Perhaps it is referring to a grape wine and not a honey wine. Well anyway if anyone has any experience using this yeast please let me know it's outcome.

Does it seem to ferment along at a steady phase? My first mead on D47 almost took 2 months before it reached dry and to be honnest it's clearing up and coming together pretty well at the time.

Now, D47 is known to not be the fastest yeast around for mead, but I have no knowledge of how it compares to other yeasts. Lalvind themself claims the QA23 is a fast fermenter, but they also say that for the D47.

My D-47 batch completely cleared in one month. I guess nothing is for certain with fermentation is general sometimes.

Well I'll just leave it for another week and take another reading. I haven't added the peaches or ginger yet. I'm waiting to add them to the secondary. It's still showing activity in the airlock, around ten bubbles a minute. I've never had a yeast drop only five points in two weeks and was just a little concerned about stressing the yeast.

Latest posts

Back