Push wort using Cornelius Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chapster100

Reaction score
Hi Guys

We are doing a brew next week and have a plan to get wort from the kettle to the fermenter via a plate chiller. We have no pump, and plan to put hot wort into a corney keg, then pressurise it slightly with co2 to push the wort through the chiller and into the conical fermenter. Does this sound feasible.

My questions are:

1. Will the corney keg be ok to have hot wort put in it.
2. The the wort be affected by the co2 pressure on it. I dont want to create off flavours, or wort that the yeast wont like.

Thanks
Matt

I would try and gravity drain the wort thru the chiller before trying to force it through using a pressurized keg, sounds like a hassle but I see no reason why you can’t do it.

Are your keg line rated for the kind of heat they will see?

I'd go buy a pump....

You can gravity drain if the restriction is low enough. More elevation is a good thing for you here.

There will be 0 harm from the CO2 pressure. For one, solubility of CO2 at that temp is extremely low. Also your exposure time would be minimal.

I'd be very, very careful with that. The keg should not be harmed, and the wort won't be affected, but if something goes wrong (and there are a lot of opportunities for something to go wrong), then you're spraying near-boiling liquid around. Think about your bare skin, eyes, etc.
I would spend a lot of time thinking about how to get an elevation difference in order to use gravity instead. Or buy a pump and test the fittings thoroughly with non-boiling water before using it on your wort.

Its likley that some keg lid seals are not rated for boiling wort eg 100C so use caution.

I have seen black seals that look like normal orings and white ones that are softer.

I dont like the idea of preasueised boiling liquid.

Also could colapse the keg due to vacume if it accidentally was allowed to cool in it. A wort fountian from the mast tun pump at 75C was bad enough

Back