Pumpkin Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttsjp

Reaction score
Has anyone ever given this a go before? I really liked the idea of doing an amber colored, autumnal saison, but I also thought it might be nice to add some pumpkin and possibly a little bit of pumpkin pie spice to the blend.

Right now I'm kind of between an Oktoberfest and American amber/steam beer grain bill. I'm AG, so I've been toying around with that piece of it a bit. I'm also wondering if I should just leave the spice out altogether (or wait until secondary/kegging) since saison strains of yeast are already "spicy." Will the pie spice be overkill with a saison strain? I'll probably use the WY 3711 French Saison strain, which will be less finicky in cooler weather.

Thoughts? If anyone has already brewed a beer like this, I would love any advice, or just some notes on what you all have done. Thanks!

Ah, thanks for your input! And I probably will just go for it. The first link you posted actually has some really nice parameters on it, the first of which answered a MAJOR question of mine concerning the addition of spices. I'm excited for this one...will hopefully get something going this weekend.

Just kegged mine and it's conditioning. Used whole pumpkin and canned butternut squash and sweet potato. Baked in 350F oven for 1 hour and threw into the mash. Also used pumpkin spice in boil. Used the French Saison Wyeast. We all said "WOW" after tasting before kegging. Went from 1.076 to 1.008 so it's a little 'hot' right now. Will tap in a month or two...

I have a sweet tater farmhouse saison conditioning in bottles right now. I used 8lbs of freshed baked sweet potatoes in the mash, and fermented with WLP 670 farmhouse ale, i put 2 Tbsp of pumpkin pie spice in the secondary. It came out amazing. Sweet potato is definately noticeable along with the spices and a little funk/sour that I hope will improve with age.

Latest posts

Back