Pumpkin Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrossCreekBrewing

Reaction score
anyone ever try this? i see a lot of stuff for pumpkin ale, cant find anything on pumpkin hefeweizen, any input would be great

Haven't brewed it yet myself, but I was going to do something like:

6lbs Wheat
4lbs Pilsner
2lbs Pumpkin

1oz. of a noble hop @60min
Mash around 154

I was thinking decoction and once I got to sacc rest I would add the pumpkin to the mash after I heated it up. Still debating on spices or no spices. Might just go very light with cinnamon, nutmeg, and some clove.

I've been thinking about this myself. I am never really satisfied with commercial pumpkin ales that are just spice sitting on to of normal amber ale. Here's a recipe for a pumpkin Dunkelweisen, or a "Pumpklweizen" as it were....

LB OZ Malt
=============
3 8 Wheat Malt
1 8 Vienna Malt
1 8 Munich Malt
1 0 Wheat Dry Extract
0 8 Caramunich Malt (40L)
0 4 American Crystal (80L)
0 4 Special B Malt
0 4 Flaked Wheat
0 2 Carafa II
3 12 canned pumpkin (in mash, roasted at 350F for 1 hour 1st.)

1 oz Vanguard pellet (5.5aa) at 60. Should be about 16 IBU.
No flavor or aroma hops. Use .5 tsp cinamon & .5 tsp pumpkin pie spice at flameout instead. Add more spice in secondary if you want.

WLP 300 Hefeweizen yeast
1.053 OG down to 1.014 final probably
16 SRM

Extract is in there to balance an general drop in efficiency I get from a lot of wheat.

FWIW, I just bottled a Punkelweizen very similar to the above (strangely similar, considering I searched for a recipe for a solid 2 weeks and found nothing). I used WLP380, but regardless I tried to shoot for the low end of the recommended temperature (kept mine at 67, might even go a few degrees colder if I brew it again) in order to try and keep off some of the banana esters. In my mind, clove & pumpkin > banana & pumpkin.

Also, I would definitely add at least some spice. Pumpkin on its own gives a little flavor, but it's not what you think of when you think pumpkin ale. It tastes more like your average squash.

Hmm I've made two Hefe's so far, and both of them are more cloves than banana. As it is now, I don't really love the clove, and I really want the banana esters, but maybe you're right about clove being better for pumpkin spice.

FYI, if you want cloves, try the WB-06 dry yeast sometime. I did one with it and it came out all cloves, no banana when fermented 68-71F. But WLP 380 gives you the same thing too.

Dunkelweizen is definitely a style that not a lot of folks here do, compared to other styles. I absolutely love it, personally. My recipe is very similar to Jamil Z's from the Brewing Network. His stuff is THE BOMB.

Back