pumpkin time... canned pumpkin in the mash or kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
About to do a pumpkin ale...yes, it's that time again.

In the past I've used a can or too in the mash just to honestly say it's a "pumpkin beer". Spices really do all the work.

My thoughts this time, what if i just dump a can of pumpkin in the boil instead of the mash? Is there even anything for the mash to convert in a can of pumpkin? Would in the boil gain more in flavors than in the mash would contribute? Maybe close to end of boil?

does the baking extract more flavors?

Assuming canned pumpkin and not canned pumpkin pie filling. there is a big difference.

What does the boil do to it? Doesn't it just end up as more kettle trub?
It does leave a LOT of trub, but it boils a lot of flavor and juices into the beer. Boil some pumpkin in water and see if all it leaves is water and sludge; more of a pumpkin soup. This is another topic that has been hotly debated (boiling vs mashing adjunct). Do whichever way you feel like.

I have never made pumpkin beer but I have some thoughts on this subject based on my cooking and brewing experience.

Mashing the pumpkin would give the opportunity to convert starches into fermentable sugar thus adding original gravity points and yielding a higher alcohol content. Mash temperatures are not going to extract a lot of flavor in a short period of time. Most of the solids would stay behind in the mash tun/kettle.

Boiling the pumpkin would likely add a lot more pumpkin flavor to the wort as the cells of the pumpkin solids would break down and yield a lot more of their liquid and flavor components. Roasting first would change the flavor profile some, for the better I would think. No starch would be converted to sugar but might be dissolved into the wort. The starch would not be fermentable. I am not experienced enough to know what that would do but I feel like starch is generally not a desirable component in wort, at least not in large quantities. The solids would either stay in the bottom of the boil kettle of settle out of the beer as trub.

I find it funny that the HBT text editor thinks "fermentable" is spelled wrong.

does the baking extract more flavors?
Baking the puree deepens the flavors through caramelization? It takes almost forever, though, there's a lot of water in there that needs to be evaporated before it gets deeper in color and flavor.

I've used 5 15oz cans (75oz total) in a 5 gallon batch. I made a note to double that for next time...
That was an Imperial Pumpkin Ale, 1.086-1.092 or so, IIRC, based on an Amber recipe.

I brewed one last month and put the the pumpkin in a hop bag during mash. I squeezed it after mashing and a lot of it seemed to be in a more liquid state. I squeezed as much juice out of it as I could. Theoretically, this means it was in the boil too.

When I racked to secondary I could actually taste the pumpkin which I don’t normally taste. Still very subtle.

I made a spice extract with some vodka and various pie spices and added that to secondary. I plan on tapping this keg starting October but I am sure I will add more extract. I used to add the spices to boil but this way has allowed me to have more control.

Whichever way you end up doing it, best of luck and hope we get to hear about it later!

This is kind of like skinning a cat. Plenty of ways to do it.

My preffered way was bake the canned puree on a sheet pan until it darkens, add some pumpkin spice and some brown sugar on top and bake some more for caramelization. Cool the baked mess and toss into the fermenter before pitching yeast.

In the past I have put canned pumpkin into the mash. Since I BIAB I find that it plugs my bag real bad and draining takes forever and lots of squeezing. I used to use like 6 cans but now only 1-2 cans plus spices.

I like the roasting idea. Perhaps for more intense flavors? either for mashing or boiling?

Boil I would think extract more flavors than a traditional mash. But in my case, I now mash 10 hours while away at work so it might be a wash.

I get a pumpkin at the farmers market,slice it along the ribs ,put a little brown sugar on and bake for 3-4 hrs to remove water and brown up. When cool I scrape the skin off put in a mesh(not hop)bag,and boil for 60 min. It was the deepest orange beer ever,with no spice and just a hint of pumpkin flavor. Most people couldn't taste it until they were told it was in there. Oh yeah, 10 lbs in a 5 gal batch.
I hate pumpkin beer because of the over spice most have, so I made one I liked.

how to bake canned pumpkin? might add some to both mash and boil

how thin or thick? How long? baking sheet or pan/tin? etc. all that matters. not a simple matter to just toss a can in the oven and bake away.

do you want toasted pumpkin cubes or crispy pumpkin potato chips?

You want to remove the water,so thinner = less time. The sugar will brown after the water is gone so when that happens it's done. I only use real live squash and start checking at 2 hrs and every 20 min after. Find your groove, if less then 1" thick I'd check at 30 min intervals.

2 cans of pumpkin spread on a cookie sheet toasted down to almost nothing after an hour or so. ended up with pumpkin chips. tossed them in boil at 30 minutes.

I'm looking out for decent size pie pumpkins.

They had huge pumpkins at Sam's Club, but apparently they are the carving variety, aka "jack-o-lantern" pumpkins. They're no good for baking or beer, as the pulp is inferior in every which way.
https://www.myfearlesskitchen.com/whats-the-difference-between-a-pie-pumpkin-and-a-carving-pumpkin/
I believe canned pumpkin is usually "butternut squash"...most pumpkin pies are probably made with the same. It is in the pumpkin family...it just doesn't "look" like a "pumpkin".

I believe canned pumpkin is usually "butternut squash"...most pumpkin pies are probably made with the same. It is in the pumpkin family...it just doesn't "look" like a "pumpkin".
Could well be...

Now in the past I've bought (real) pie pumpkins off the farm and made pies and even ice cream with them. They had thick fleshy pulp, and roasted/cooked well in the oven (2-3 hours).

BTW, canned pumpkin has gotten ridiculously expensive the past 2-3 years. Last time I checked they wanted over $4 a can (15 oz) at Aldi's.

Like others have said, use baking pumpkins and roast in the oven with dark brown sugar. There's a killer recipe online called "the best pumpkin beer ever". I've made it 3xs, yes it's the best.

I've had the most success with pumpkin in the mash and then in the fermenter. 3-1 or 2-1 on the quantity Mash/Fermenter. So for a 5 gallon recipe I'll use two or three 15oz cans in the mash and one can in the fermenter - end of fermentation. I bake the pumpkin first on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle some brown sugar and pumpkin spice on the pumpkin before baking. Hope that helps!

I just toasted the pumpkin plain and tossed in the boil. spices went into the fermenter instead of flame out this time. will see what happens.

at least the blow off tube smells good.

Back