Pump question -It may be blasphemy but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlkWater_brewer

Reaction score
I need a simple question answered regarding pumps. OK I am no fan of hefting 5 and 10 gallon mash tuns and hot water tanks on platforms to allow for gravity feed. I am also no fan of buying pricey hardware as in March and Chugger pumps just to move sparge water or drain a mash tun into the boil kettle. As I see it the simplest option is a $25.00 food grade, solar hot water pump running at 12V DC. They are rated for 212 degrees and have ceramic shafts and are self priming. If you take out the "because it doesn't look as neat" factor, why should I spend $159.00 for a pump that will be moving at most 10-20 gallons of at best 170 degree water? Especially when I can do the same for roughly $25.00. What am I missing? Nothing against March pumps but the degree of overkill in a non commercial brew setup seems extreme to require a heavy duty pump as it is??????

I have a March 815. I don't think it's over built for the application.

I also have a dedicated HLT and 2nd burner so I use gravity too. If you don't want a pump that is an option. I don't have to pump but it's nice to have the option.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I need a simple question answered regarding pumps. OK I am no fan of hefting 5 and 10 gallon mash tuns and hot water tanks on platforms to allow for gravity feed. I am also no fan of buying pricey hardware as in March and Chugger pumps just to move sparge water or drain a mash tun into the boil kettle. As I see it the simplest option is a $25.00 food grade, solar hot water pump running at 12V DC. They are rated for 212 degrees and have ceramic shafts and are self priming. If you take out the "because it doesn't look as neat" factor, why should I spend $159.00 for a pump that will be moving at most 10-20 gallons of at best 170 degree water? Especially when I can do the same for roughly $25.00. What am I missing? Nothing against March pumps but the degree of overkill in a non commercial brew setup seems extreme to require a heavy duty pump as it is??????

If you can find a food grade pump that can do the job, grab it! If your $25 pump can pump what you need when you need it, that's enough.

I love my March 809s, and have had them for several years with no issues at all. I pump from my HLT to my MLT, run a HERMS, pump to the BK, then pump through the CFC into the fermenter. My back is forever grateful, and I don't lift much at all but never anything hot so safety is a big part of it.

This is hardly a revelation, the plethora of question marks notwithstanding.
There are at least two long running threads on the search for "cheap, effective, food grade and temperature capable" pumps extant.
If you think your pump will do the job, go for it...

Cheers!

Thanks for the positive replies. I am new here but have run into folks on other sites/interests that are quick to attack. Nice to find that this isn't the case here. Next time i won't be so defensive. I'll give them a try and see what happens.

I use the cheap 12v pump to move strike/sparge water from HLT to Mashtun and have a Chugger pump for everything else. I love the Chugger, but it seemed overkill to get 2 of them.

I'll give them a try and see what happens.
I don't think you will be disappointed. I got mine for the exact reasons you mentioned and it does the job fine. One thing you said was that the Solar type pumps are self-priming. They are not. (At least mine isn't.)

Yes I misspoke on the self priming, what I meant to say was they are not subject to damage from dry running to the degree that the March was are.

My curiosity arose after reading several posts on the 110/220 which do I buy topic. For that matter even 3 phase. I don't care what liquid you pump, if you are moving 5-10-20-50 gallons a few feet, why is his even an issue? Now if you want to pump it around the house and use your pool as a wort chiller then that is different. What it boils to is I believe in function over form.

March and Chugger spell reliability. I went through 3 of those cheap 12 volt pumps. They always give up right in the middle of your brew. If you decide that is the way you want to go make sure you have a backup one. You are going to need it.

Yeah, I believe it comes down to personal preference. Some folks want buy it once and be done with it. Some (like me) want see what they can accomplish with the least outlay as possible.

I'm a DIY type of guy, so I would tend to try the eBay $20 pump first in my cheap-ass set up. But if I had a hard plumbed RIMS or HERMS setup? I might splurge for something more reliable.

Each product has its place in the market.

OK, I learned my lesson - grabbed the wrong power supply and my little pump is toast. I need to find a pump fast. My back can't handle these 15 gallon lifting again.

They always give up right in the middle of MY brew.
Fixed that for you.

Over 10 batches and mine hasn't given up. You must be doing something that these little pumps don't like for yours to fail every time. In your case, you're right to switch to a different one, but don't blame the pump.

The march pumps are great. You're paying for quality. I'm a tight wad too, but I don't regret the purchase at all. What I like most about them is that you can run them with partial to full restriction since the pump heads are magnet driven (as long as the pump is primed of course). They may be a little salty, but well worth it if you ask me.

If you can be happy with a low voltage high temp pump go for it. I have chiggers and love them. But the beauty of home rewind is that everyone can express themselves through how they do it.

Back