Protein-Fortified Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickbrew

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of talk recently about high-protein beers marketed as an after-workout supplement for protein shakes + a cold beer. Regardless of the real need for them, my brother is an avid bodybuilding competitor and asked me if I could brew him up a batch.

My main questions are:

• How would I even do this?
  • What types of proteins would still be beneficial for after-work outs?
  • What potential changes to body/taste would I expect?

I understand that foam has protein z and LTP1, I know that a good boil breaks down much of the proteins from your wort. That is the extent of my brewscience on this topic. Hoping others can shed some light for me. Also here is a link for one company that is currently trying to get in production for their 'nutribeer and brewtein' recipes.

http://www.culture-nutrition.com/en...ibeer-et-si-la-biere-apportait-des-proteines/

I would be also looking to produce a final beer with somewhere around 7-10g protein/bottle to make it a convenient enough supplement.

I don't see the point. Booze doesn't exactly help with protein synthesis or nitrogen retention.

Wait, wait, I just got the point. Make money off people. Right.

I'm a competitive strongman. I drink beer. But I certainly don't want to try to get my protein from it. It isn't likely to be a complete source of protein. I'll stick with my whey and casein shakes at 50g a go to get up to my 300g a day intake. Could some of that come from beer? I guess, but I would need 5 beers at 10g each, at which point you're messing up your protein synth. I think if you're serious about strength or physique sports, you're much better off getting the best beer possible, and eating another steak.

You could eat your trub after primary fermentation. Isn't that mostly coagulated proteins? Or just mix the trub back in for some beer that bites back.

Everyone knows that beer is for carbo-loading.. just ask the hashers.

I'm already entertained by the responses so far. Of course this is one of those inconvenient conveniences. The whole protein synthesis and nitrogen retention is news to me, definitely something that makes sense. And as gross as eating your trub sounds it would probably do the trick!

Realistically though, the gentleman from the link has somehow come up with a low-carb high-protein beer and I just can't for the life of me understand how that would be possible; and to go further, how it would be tasty?

To be clear, they use whey protein somehow in their recipe.

So, now that my initial grumpiness has worn off, my suggestion would be if you're going to try it, try it with a wheat beer. They're already cloudy from protein haze, so I think they might be the least noticeable. Or maybe a big stout.

So, now that my initial grumpiness has worn off, my suggestion would be if you're going to try it, try it with a wheat beer. They're already cloudy from protein haze, so I think they might be the least noticeable. Or maybe a big stout.

You are just being realistic, I had the same initial response. Yeah I agree that that would have to be the only way to do it, however I just think about how a glass that had a protein drink in it looks and smells after a few hours...not appealing. I wouldn't want to add whey protein directly in after the boil at any point and I wouldn't want to do it beforehand because it would be lost in the break...

I don't see the point. Booze doesn't exactly help with protein synthesis or nitrogen retention.

Wait, wait, I just got the point. Make money off people. Right.

I'm a competitive strongman. I drink beer. But I certainly don't want to try to get my protein from it. It isn't likely to be a complete source of protein. I'll stick with my whey and casein shakes at 50g a go to get up to my 300g a day intake. Could some of that come from beer? I guess, but I would need 5 beers at 10g each, at which point you're messing up your protein synth. I think if you're serious about strength or physique sports, you're much better off getting the best beer possible, and eating another steak.

What if hypothetically you were able to incorporate supplements such as NAC or leucine into the beer in relatively small doses to replenish antioxidants and clear out toxic metabolites? Again, i'm just going off reading some articles and I don't know well enough about this stuff to have a proper argument. I also figure it would be kinda dangerous to add too many additional supplements given it could add up if people drink too much. I also assume that it would be illegal by brewing standards.

From what I see alcohol is proven to reduce protein synthesis by around 15-20%. One study said that it has a latency of+24 hours after you drink alcohol before it is impacted to it would hurt your gains for working out the next day, however it has been disproved by a more recent article claiming that it is as early as 12h after drinking. It seems like timing is really a huge factor here, as well as accepting that 15-20% is pretty significant for professional competitors.

Alright a few days in now, looking to revitalize this thread. Still in my researching I don't understand the logistics of how this would be done.

Any other brains out there care to weight in?

I would experiment with dissolving protein, let it sit cold, and see if it stays in suspension. I would imagine it would be very cloudy even if it dissolves, and even if it stays in suspension.

I prefer a protein bar to a shake. Or better, steak.

Latest posts

Back