Protein in beer and our health?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakenbacon

Reaction score
Hey HBT, so I heard a conversation between my wife and a nurse (family friend.) The friend brought up something that started to make me think. She mentioned how bad excessive protein can be for the kidneys. Granted she is talking long term, and protein amounts that are not 'normal' in an average diet. She was more referring to protein shakes and people that focus on high protein diets. So, I was curious, how do you think the protein levels in beer affect our kidneys? Sure, the alcohol is the bulldozer clearing the way in this case, and is something we should be worrying about much more when it comes to health, but I can't help but wonder..... Could a simple whirlfloc tab make beer just that little bit better for you, or not as 'bad' for you shall I say? I imagine the protein levels in beer are not substantial, but being that us homebrewers drink our share of beer, and probably will for the rest of our lives, it would seem that dropping or filtering protein out of beer would be beneficial in some small, grasping for hope kind of way..... I mean smoking one cig aint gonna kill ya but its that long term thing ya know????

Hey HBT, so I heard a conversation between my wife and a nurse (family friend.) The friend brought up something that started to make me think. She mentioned how bad excessive protein can be for the kidneys. Granted she is talking long term, and protein amounts that are not 'normal' in an average diet. She was more referring to protein shakes and people that focus on high protein diets. So, I was curious, how do you think the protein levels in beer affect our kidneys? Sure, the alcohol is the bulldozer clearing the way in this case, and is something we should be worrying about much more when it comes to health, but I can't help but wonder..... Could a simple whirlfloc tab make beer just that little bit better for you, or not as 'bad' for you shall I say? I imagine the protein levels in beer are not substantial, but being that us homebrewers drink our share of beer, and probably will for the rest of our lives, it would seem that dropping or filtering protein out of beer would be beneficial in some small, grasping for hope kind of way..... I mean smoking one cig aint gonna kill ya but its that long term thing ya know????

The protein content of beer is so low as to be negligble. There is more protein in a stalk of broccoli than in a 12 ounce beer.

Don't worry about the protein in beer. You would have to consume phenomenal amounts of protein to bother your kidneys. I take in around 250g of protein daily to keep up with my strongman training and have no ill effects whatsoever. I've been running a diet very similar to this for about 6 years and get checked up on 4 times a year. No issues at all.

Now, there was a time when I had some kidney problems, but that was when I ate a lot of junk food, didn't exercise, and was really overweight. I dropped 150 pounds in a year, all of that cleared up. So don't worry about the protein in a few beers. Moderation and a good diet including protein and fat from fish, good eggs, grass fed beef, lots of varied veggies, and plenty of exercise is your best bet.

Shameless plug for avocados. Good lord they're amazing.

There is no published/current/accredited research showing that high protein is bad for the kidneys. Protein in the urine indicates poorly functioning kidneys, and although high protein diets can increase your glomerular filtration rate they have no long term effects on the kidneys (as shown by current research).

Even if it was bad for you the amounts in beer are pretty negligible.

Back