Propane Plumbing Fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

Reaction score
I am having a hard time getting the plumbing sizes and fittings down. It seems as though there is a little info here, a little there, but no thread that deals with the whole picture.

I have a single tier that needs plumbing. I have 2 burners (BG 14 on HLT and BK) and am just doing batch sparging now....BUT, i want the option for a third burner on the MT.

I have the regular 3/8 flared fitting coming off the burners. I also have the 30 psi regulator.

I know to use 1/2 inch black iron pipe. I know I want to use needle valves on each burner. I want to use the following flex line for coming into the burner:

https://www.rvsupplyparts.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=7065

1. What do I use to go to the regulator into the black iron pipe? The reg has a 3/8 inch opening, while the black pipe is 1/2 inch. Is there a female (1/2) to male (3/8) adapter?

2. I wanted the option to add another burner later. The mash tun is in the middle. So would a T-Connector with a cap on top work here?

3. What comes off the T-Connector at each burner? This is what confuses me. I would need T fitting---->Needle Valve (all 1/4" from what ive seen)---->Flex pipe----->90 degree 3/8 flare to orifice. Somewhere there has to be a reducer or two.

Also, that flex pipe comes in 3/8 inch or 1/4 inch ID. Is there a preference, or does it not matter since the line coming off the regulator is 1/4 inch?

Im trying not to blow my house down.

Look at the pictures of this guys set up under DIY Projects>>> My Weldless Build With 1 5/8" Strut. He has a gas line kind of like what your interested in installing. Home Depot has iron pipe fittings, valves, brass flare X MPT/FPT, appliance gas whips. I'm not sure if they have needle valves. I have Blichmann burners and use their needle valves. They're 3/8 female flare on the orifice side and 3/8 male flare on the fuel side. The rest of the stuff came from HD. Good luck with your project.

I looked at it and am still confused. I went to Lowes and tried to form something, but they didn't have everything I need.

How I want to go:

30 Psi Reg with 1/4 inch ID and 3/8 inch female end fitting---->NEED A 3/8 TO 1/2 INCH TO ENTER 1/2 INCH PIPE---->1/2 inch Pipe----->Piping Tee--->2 inch long pipe coming out vertically of the Tee--->NEED 1/2 TO 1/4 INCH REDUCER TO GO INTO NEEDLE VALVE----->1/4 inch needle Valve----->NEED A 1/4 INCH TO 3/8 FITTING TO GO TO FLEX PIPE----->Flex pipe---->NEED A 90 DEGREE BRASS ELBOW ORIFICE (3/8 TO 3/8) FOR GOING INTO BG14

I cant find any of the all caps stuff. Am I on the right path? Also the flex pipe comes in 3/8 ID and 1/4 ID, both with 3/8 fittings on end. Which is the correct choice?

This is really frustrating.

I've been working through the same problems this week on my build.

I ended up getting parts through Amazon. I picked up some 1/2" ID flex line http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010434MQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 to connect to the BIP and then needed some brass adapters http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FN1B28/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 to go from 1/2" FIP on the flex to 3/8" on the low pressure orifice/ball valves I got through brewhardware.

I'm yet to determine how to connect from the 1/2" FIP fitting on the end of the BIP to the 2 stage LP regulator. I'd like to have a fairly easy disconnect and need a flexible line..

I went low pressure for two reasons;

One - eventual automation is a possibility.
Two - safety. I gather from friends in the industry high pressure propane is viewed as much riskier in the event of leaks or damaged hoses etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back