Propagation from Cuttings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can certainly work, but shoots that are still attached to their rhizomes are less eager to form roots than severed shoots, so it might require additional patience. The upside is lower mortality, though.

It can certainly work, but shoots that are still attached to their rhizomes are less eager to form roots than severed shoots, so it might require additional patience. The upside is lower mortality, though.

i've never had a shoot cutting survive.
but a shoot with a section of root?
got two of them that have started to show growth after a few weeks of not doing anything.

i've never had a shoot cutting survive.
but a shoot with a section of root?
got two of them that have started to show growth after a few weeks of not doing anything.

With the proper protocol the success rate should be pretty high. Might require spending a bit for better control of light, humidity, and heat, though. I found that it's harder to have high failure rates in water compared to soil, but then transplanting tends to have a significant failure rate, which it's possible to have very good success rates directly in potting soil.

Today I thought I would sever the latest cutting from the main rootball. It's another Hallertau.
PXL_20210706_003348471.jpg

nice.
i have a bit of a fuggle plant that did nothing for a few weeks just start growing from a new node.
same with my Arcadian hops.

will have to move buckets into basement for the winter but next yr they will go straight into the ground.

So I recently got some cuttings and dipped some in rooting hormone and right into small containers with moist potting soil while others I just stuck in water in beer bottles. All of the cutting that were "planted" all had their leaves shrivel while all the cuttings in bottles mostly shriveled but still seem relatively green but it does not appear any roots are growing. Does anyone know if this is typical or should I write them off for dead. They have been in my possession for roughly 2 weeks. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Oh most are cascade/cashmere cuttings

I'm not a pro, but my advice is that you should keep watering them for as long as they look like they have a chance. Severing the plant is traumatic for them.

How much sunlight and water does it get?

I'm not a pro, but my advice is that you should keep watering them for as long as they look like they have a chance. Severing the plant is traumatic for them.

How much sunlight and water does it get?

I have them getting non direct sunlight for most of the day. They’re inside in a sunny room. I was hoping to see some signs of rooting before I moved outside

Sunlight seems fine, but what about water?
I was doing very little water to keep the soil moist but it wasnt drying out very well being inside. I have recently started to split their time inside and out. Should I lop off the dead withered leaves to try and promote new growth?

@Lacasse93 care to give an update?

So I moved everything into pint pots outside and most died within a week or two. I did have one plant start to spout new growth and one that stayed green but dont see anything new. I intend to cut them down once the weather gets cold and move them into a shed until the spring. Maybe the roots will take hold while they're dormant?

Again, I'm not a professional, but I'd guess that they wont do much over dormancy. I'd suggest that if you get a really bad cold snap you keep them somewhere that will keep the entire pot, roots and all, from freezing. If you're lucky, next year you'll have a chance to get them to toughen up without dealing with the shock of cutting them. My first year cutting that I planted this spring didn't really do much, but as long as it established some roots it should do something next year.

How are everyone's 2021 cuttings doing?

Mine from this post have broken dormancy and look pretty good. I have a hallertau cutting that might be dead, but the other three (I believe two were from '21 and the other from '20) have broken dormancy.

PXL_20220422_195006925.jpg

PXL_20220422_195059273.jpg

Back