mead yeast propagation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalhead_brewer

Reaction score
hi everyone, newbie mead maker here, i have been brewing beer for many years now and i know that the reason we propagate beer yeast with barley based wort is because yeast has to be propagated in the same media that will be pitched because this will "preparate" the yeast for a maximum performance, so my question is if i wan´t to propagate mead yeast for example Mangrove jacks M05 do i have to do it in honey diluted in water or it is ok to do it in DME as i usually do, this is because i have read it in the web that is ok that mead yeast is propagated in barley based wort and i´m a bit confused.
thank you in advance.

Like most thongs Mead, yoy will find varying opinions. With no real "right" answer.

I usually start (propogate) my yeast in a similar must. i.e. honey and water etc. That seems to work the best to reduce lag and crow a healthy viable colony.

However have started them in just a sugar water solution or just mixed them into my carboy and let them do thier thing.

Back