Propagating cuttings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
So I had about 7 shoots come up from my second year centennial. Since its best to cut back the "bull shoot" I decided to wait till its leaves opened a little and cut it back to try propagating it. Found this link-
http://piedmonthops.com/how-to/root-your-own-cuttings

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398605562.766722.jpg

Has anyone attempted this? I've propagated plant cuttings (but not hops) before and had only placed it in a cup of water with success. The link says moist soil. Anyone tried either method with success?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Soaking the cut end in water should work, A lot of people use beer bottle with success, too. Some rooting compound can help your success rate.
I have found it works more often than not to just bury the cut section in soil, leaving some leaves exposed to the sun with the growth tip pinched off. It will usually wither for awhile, but then you'll notice new growth at the last leaf node.

With extra bines, I think the best way to ensure success is to let them grow attached to the crown until the are 8"+ and then lay them horizontally and cover them with soil. The buried portion will start to root out and then you can cut this section from the crown and replant it elsewhere--there seems to be less shock to the plant this way because it's deriving energy from the crown at first while it's making new roots, and then there are already roots established when you replant it.

Still, what you have pictured will likely work. You may want to put a few cutting in there to better your odds, though. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I decided to place it in a container with moist soil. Will that work as well, or should I put it back in the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

moist soil will work fine. I root cuttings all the time and root them in all different ways. sometimes in soil, some in rockwool, some in peat, some in just water. I find that a medium other than water usually works best for me. you want to make sure not to give it too much light before it gets a root system happening. too much light and the cutting will use its limited stored energy to grow new leaves and stem towards the light. you want the plant to not grow but use all available energy to develop roots. I use trays with domes under grow lights that are as far away from the domes as my system allows. If youre in direct sunlight, I'd cover the dome with a very old pillow case (you know the one at the bottom of the pile that you can kinda see through) to limit the direct light the plant cuttings are getting. sometimes the leaves will want to droop if the cuttings are in a very dry place, its ok to spray the leaves with water from a spray bottle but don't do it too much, the plant will not grow roots with the same vigor if you are spraying too much. If you go back to a glass of water, remember to change out the water frequently as that will keep the stem from rotting when the water gets stale.

Back