Propagating Bread Yeast like Beer Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
I haven't brewed in a while but I remember it being fairly easy to propagate yeast with some malt or honey dissolved in water. Is there any reason you couldn't do the same with bread yeast, since apparently the entire world has decided to buy bread yeast at the same time? I've seen articles that say to make, essentially, large sourdough starters, but I'm not sure how much that really does for you in terms of replicating your yeast (nor how to translate a starter into the amount of yeast used for a bread recipe).

Any help is much appreciated!

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm almost out of bread yeast and didn't realize it was sold out everywhere. I was considering making a starter with DME and seeing what happens.

I also just kegged an Oktoberfest and saved a bunch of the slurry. I am going to try and make some pizza dough with it after I rinse it a few times.

...or using beer yeast that you know you can easily propogate?
I used a sack of dry wheat beer yeast once i a wheat bread. It was ok. My recipie was awful, i cut some corners on ingredients, but it was edible.
I am sure if had rehydrtaded the yeast first and used a proper recipie it would have been great.
There a few threads here about beer yeast in bread.

Just make a thin pancake type dough out of flour and water, add a bit of sugar, add yeast, let it bubble for a day or two, keep refrigerated, use some of this instead of your yeast from the store. You can just keep it going by adding water and flour and by leaving it at room temperature for a day or two. Otherwise keep refrigerated.

But nothing beats a real sourdough imo.

Start with a hand full of flour and water, same pancake dough consistency as above, but no sugar. Dough must be 1150 or whole grain, just for the starter, afterwards, every type works, but not self raising flour obviously.

Every day, stir well twice and once add another hand full of flour and water to keep the consistency. After five to seven days, the dough should smell sour and started bubbling, it's ready.

Mix with flour of your choice, bring to baking dough consistency, remove one cup of dough (important!!), put the remaining dough in a form, let it raise over night, bake next morning or when you think it is done raising. It raises slower then lab yeast but tastes better and is better for the belly.

Keep the cup of dough that you removed at room temperature for one day, afterwards refrigerate. It will be the starter for the next bread.

But nothing beats a real sourdough imo.

Start with a hand full of flour and water, same pancake dough consistency as above, but no sugar. Dough must be 1150 or whole grain, just for the starter, afterwards, every type works, but not self raising flour obviously.

Every day, stir well twice and once add another hand full of flour and water to keep the consistency. After five to seven days, the dough should smell sour and started bubbling, it's ready.

Mix with flour of your choice, bring to baking dough consistency, remove one cup of dough (important!!), put the remaining dough in a form, let it raise over night, bake next morning or when you think it is done raising. It raises slower then lab yeast but tastes better and is better for the belly.

Keep the cup of dough that you removed at room temperature for one day, afterwards refrigerate. It will be the starter for the next bread.

Great tips! Thanks!!
Also, if you live near the San Francisco Bay that sourdough will pick up some unique flavors!

Ok.. so you have not had the "Boudin" bread out there, huh? (Or maybe you have, who knows?)
At least you have access to some pretty awesome traditional beer! Oh, and food!

Never heard of it and google does not help. Do you maybe have a link to a descritpion?

Latest posts

Back