Procedures for using Self-collected Spring Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerray

Reaction score
Yesterday I collected 10 gallons of spring water myself. When I got it home, I devised a method to filter out any large contaminants, such as sand, organic debris, etc. anbd the water looks fairly good, but it isn't crystal clear. I still want to use it, though.

My question is, at this point should I add just a little clorox to it to purify it or can I simply boil? I have a pot big enough to do full boils for the 5 gal. batches, so the water I use will boil for an hour. In my mind, that makes the water good enough. As long as I'm doing a full boil, would there be any need to add the bleach beforehand? I'd rather not use any bleach and keep this beer as all-natural as possible.

I must add, though, that in no way would I actually drink this spring water without doing something to it first. I do seek the mineral content, etc. of spring water, but I don't want to make anyone sick. This is a free source of spring water and I really think it will add some uniqueness (?) to my beer.

Anyone, please feel free to offer advise.

Thanks in advance!!!

No, NO clorox unless you love the taste of bandaids in your beer! Filtering out the big bits through a coffee filter or some such will work just fine, then boiling it for an hour. Boiling won't get rid of any toxic ground water chemicals though so keep that in mind.

rangerray said:
This is a free source of spring water and I really think it will add some uniqueness (?) to my beer.

[YOUTUBE]6vlEavUH9ng[/YOUTUBE]

This is how you add uniqueness to your beer:drunk: :D

EvilTOJ said:
No, NO clorox unless you love the taste of bandaids in your beer! Filtering out the big bits through a coffee filter or some such will work just fine, then boiling it for an hour. Boiling won't get rid of any toxic ground water chemicals though so keep that in mind.

If I used a little clorox, it would have been prior to the boil, but I'd rather not do that. I was with the idea that I could add the clorox to purify, then when in the process of boiling, the clorox would be removed.

OK. So, I don't use the clorox at all. Then, what I'm hearing is, go ahead and use the water if I'm relatively sure that my water isn't contaminated with farm chemicals, etc. I intend to ask someone that is more familiar with the spring where I got the water too.

Can anyone see where I might go wrong here?

Well, I'm all above using what you have. But no way would I drink water from a questionable spring, and no way would I brew with it. Bottled spring water is cheap, tap water is even cheaper. I would not risk it.

YooperBrew said:
Well, I'm all above using what you have. But no way would I drink water from a questionable spring, and no way would I brew with it. Bottled spring water is cheap, tap water is even cheaper. I would not risk it.

Since my last post, I called a friend who is more familiar with the spring. He says that he recalls many folk have drank the water. I think that I'm going to take a chance with it.

I can't very well make a Clear Springs Ale without using Clear Springs water.

Thanks for all of the replies. I will check back here tomorrow morning late for any further wisdom, but I'm 98% sure this is a go.

You could also use campden tablets or some other meta bisulfate tablets. Also, if you have a brita filter pitcher, use that to filter your water ... then boil it for an hour.

Back