Problems with my gas ball lock.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the Brewer

Reaction score
I just got my regulator in and I got started hooking up my Co2 to the keg to run some sanitizer through it. I hook up my ball locks to the keg, hoses to the faucet and regulator. I turn on the gas, gauges are up and running, theres Co2 in the hose. But theres no gas in the keg, so I pull off the ball lock and gas is blowing out of it, so I put it back on, still nothing. I did notice that the liquid ball lock had a nipple in the center of it that pokes through to the keg. My gas ball lock doesn't have that.... Should it? I searched for pictures on google, but no one seems to take pictures of the bottom or the inside locking portion of the ball lock. Anyone have any help?

You should have that same nipple in the gas disconnect, it pushes down on the poppet to inject the CO2. When you pull off the gas disconnect, it shouldn't blow gas as the nipple is not depressed. Since gas was blowing out of it when you took it off, I'd say the nipple piece is broken.

I was afraid of that! That sucks! I'm pissed, Ive been waiting for this day. I have a crappy ball lock, thats all thats holding me back! Thanks though

Because it is such an easy fix, I went ahead and ordered 2 gas ball locks, another liquid ball lock and a second keg, to cheer myself up. Plus, its not worth paying 7 dollars to ship a little ball lock, so I added a keg to the order!

Davesbrew85 said:
Because it is such an easy fix, I went ahead and ordered 2 gas ball locks, another liquid ball lock and a second keg, to cheer myself up. Plus, its not worth paying 7 dollars to ship a little ball lock, so I added a keg to the order!

Man I LOVE having a LHBS that is ten minutes from home.

And I can't believe that there have not been ANY jokes about his broken nipple...

Man, if we were to make jokes about broken nipples, ball locks, blow-off hoses, and racking canes every time the subject came up, we'd never get around to anything else!:fro:

TL

gerbil, having a close LHBS is nice, but I can't stand how much mine charges for kegging parts. 50c a piece for dip tube o-rings? They cost 1.5c! Picnic taps are 6 a piece without hose, too.... Bah. Just means I need to stock up on spare parts, already got all my o-rings for the next year! :D

Your LHBS may charge more than you want to pay, but if people don't support them they will go away.

Back