Priming yeast for tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxdmax

Reaction score
I've read a number of posts that discuss the necessity of priming yeast to assure carbonation. That makes sense by itself but I thought yeast was a major component of a Tripel. Wouldn't additional yeast just before bottling change the flavor profile, for good or for bad?

You're not priming yeast, you're using priming sugar. The residual yeast in the beer will feed on the sugar and carb the bottles.

But independent of carbonation, wouldn't yeast at the end impart a flavor?

Not according to Chris White and Jamil. In thier book Yeast they say that a secondary yeast strain used after fermentatrion has completed will not impart much flavor. Yeast creates flavor compunds during fermentation, but once fermentation has finished (or close to it) those compounds are no longer being created in amounts that you will taste.
Now if the yeast was still in suspension, it could have a flavor, but that means it hasn't finished fermenting yet.

Carbonating is different than fermenting as the sugar from the grains is different than those of the malts-from what I understand anyways. In addition there is so little sugar and yeast working there is no flavor put off.

Carbing a trippel is no different than any other beer and I have never heard or read anywhere of flavors being an issue

I only thought of it because my noob understanding is that tripels are all about the malt, yeast and sugar without the hops and specialty grains that influence other types. I figured the yeast must be especially important so any additions would be key.

Latest posts

Back