Priming with maple syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhiker732

Reaction score
I just brewed what is slated to become an imperial rye brown. I intend on racking it to secondary with some fig puree. I have toyed around with honey as a priming sugar in an IPA recipe and I feel that being a New Englander, maple syrup as a priming sugar in a beer that will be ready by spring time would be appropriate. I have researched extensively and haven't found much in the way of how much to use in priming. I want a subtle maple flavor but not so much as to over power the sweetness of the fig. Any suggestions? I was thinking a 1 1/4 cup addition of grade B.

Afraid this beer isn't going to be complex enough?:)

Maple syrup is 31 ppg. Corn sugar is 46 ppg. Figure out how much corn sugar to use to get your desired carbonation level, then calculate how much more maple syrup to add.

Ha! Thanks! Yeah I am looking for light carbonation on this one, corn sugar just tends to give me enough for a pale or IPA. I think the maple will add a nice little touch to the flavor profile. Only one way to find out right? I used corn in my very first brown and the carbonation levels were off the chart.

Back