Priming with maple syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rovolution

Reaction score
I am racking an American Brown Ale tomorrow night and wanna prime it with maple syrup (that I made by the way!) Is this a good idea and does anyone have an tips on doing so? Thanks!

Great idea if you want the maple syrup flavors in the bottles... For how much, I seem to recall that it's about 60% fermentable sugars. At most, no more than honey is (80%).

A quick check shows it's potential as 1.030, where honey is 1.035... About 65% fermentable sugars in it... So use that to figure out how much to use (by weight) to obtain your CO2 volume target.

I used 1.25x the white priming sugar weight for honey when priming with that. If my math is correct (not sure it is) you'll want to use about 1.55x the sugar weight in maple syrup... I would aim for the middle CO2 volumes for the brew. That way, if there's a bit more sugar the yeast can much, it won't be over carbonated.

BTW, I have a maple brown ale on deck. Planning on using a full pint of syrup (local make) in it once fermentation has slowed down... So probably about 3-4 weeks after the yeast gets pitched. I'll let it ride another couple of weeks from then, before going to bottle/keg... I'm starting to lean more towards kegging everything than even bottling part of batches.

So, ive been using dextrose to prime. Now your saying I should use 1.55 times the weight to prime with maple syrup?

I just want to be sure before I try this, I'd hate to lose a batch.

Always add more when using liquids (1.25x) over using solids (powder), since liquids, such as honey or maple syrup or lme all have water in them in order for them to be so called liquids.

As Trox called out, using calculator is preferable for better precision on quantities as most (depending on the calc you use) will be concieved with the exact ratio of sugars/waters inside the priming sugar used with the right quantity for the batch's size. Note as logic said erlier, powders like dextrose or table sugar will ask for smaller quantities.

I personnaly use northern brewers calc, same as mate Trox up here posted :)

Best luck man!

Edit: Maple syrup will do wonders on flavor, good choice!!

Back