Priming with DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletcher21

Reaction score
So I have some extra light DME and someone mentioned I should prime with it. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before? Did it turn out ok? Do you use the same amount as you would corn sugar?

Thanks, I'm also wondering if it's worth doing. Is the flavor any different? Better? How well does it carb up?

I haven't noticed much difference (none, actually) in the end product whether I've used corn sugar, table sugar, DME, honey, etc. What I have noticed if I primed with DME, I get a bit more bottle sediment and a krausen ring on the neck on the bottle which I don't typically get with corn sugar or table sugar.

I only notice if i drink any before a few weeks sometimes but after that there is not much of any really.Im going to try maple on my stout and im expecting it to be the same way .It will hide behind everything else because of its minute amount to the whole batch.Its kinda like dryhopping or doing late additions,they eventually fade and depending the amount relatively quickly. Im enjoying a ryeipa i brewed months and months ago and i like it more now than before,just sayin.

Latest posts

Back