Priming with Cane Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEversole

Reaction score
Has anyone ever primed bottles with cane sugar? If so was there a difference in the taste? Good, Bad?

I use table sugar to prime many beers. Belgians, a few IPA, and some older American Styles from the pre prohibition days, like my 1909 Kentucky Common recipe.

I think in some beers it makes for tinier, tighter bubbles and a nice head.

For most of my other beers, English ales and others, I tend to use basic corn sugar.

You can use any fermentable for priming. I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to the podcast,) and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

I've used date palm mollasses and brown sugar before, the mollassess was a bit too intense, though other folks liked the beer. Brown is great with pumpkin ales.

Most priming calculators give the amounts for both table sugar and corn sugar.

I have used successfully long ago. It is more ferment-able so find a priming calculator online that allows you to select table sugar vs corn sugar so you don't accidentally over-carb.

Back