Priming Sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I ran out of corn sugar so I used unbleached table sugar, which I typically have used, for the batch I bottled today. But there's not enough for the next batch.

I'm considering using 1/2 table sugar 1/2 brown sugar in a black beer that ought to taste like an amber. Can I literally cut the amounts in half for each (i.e. 5.3 oz table sugar to 2.65 oz and 6.1 oz brown sugar to 3.05 oz) and call it right?

I'd use a priming sugar calculator to get the right amount of each, then half those amounts. For example, if it said to normally add 90 grams sucrose for five gallons versus 102 grams brown sugar to five gallons, you'd want to use 45g sucrose + 51g brown sugar.

It seems logical, and so I wondered. And I had to ask as we have just been to the store, and didn't realize we were low on sugar (we don't use it often).

I'd use a priming sugar calculator to get the right amount of each, then half those amounts. For example, if it said to normally add 90 grams sucrose for five gallons versus 102 grams brown sugar to five gallons, you'd want to use 45g sucrose + 51g brown sugar.

Precisely what I was going to say.

And if they happen to be equal (say 120g for each) you could use any amount of each (in this example, exhaust your remainder of type A - 75g - and cover the balance with 45) as long as it adds up.

And that's the calculator I use. But I've done something similar after running out of corn sugar, and just kind of figured in the rest without getting technical, and it was under carbed. So I wasn't sure if this was such a logical way of looking at it.

Went ahead and bout demerara sugar. But it's nice to know.

Back