Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbob3000

Reaction score
Do you add priming sugar immediately before bottling or leave it?
My process so far on a dark british ale:
3 to 4 weeks fermenting
Add finings
2 to 3 days later add priming sugar and bottle, leave in bottles foutre approx 3 weeks or as close as I can manage.

Sound right?

Typically, I add priming sugar to my bottling bucket. I think that's what most anyone who bottles does. That way the sugar is mixed pretty evenly. Obviously, you bottle your beer a few minutes after that.

When you add finings depends on the fining agent. For instance, you'd add Irish moss during your boil, but bentonite (I use it in mead) after the fermentation.

batch prime; they say 3/4 cup priming sugar per 5 gallons; i like a little more carbonation; batch priming is the easiest and most efficient way instead of putting sugar in each bottle...not to mention much more sanitary; boil 2 cups water with sugar, cool, and put it in bottle bucket when transferring; stir some but gently and it should be evenly mixed

I used the brewersfriend priming sugar calculator to figure my proper calculations of desired CO2 volume. Once I have done that, I boil soft water (from my filter on my hose) in a pot with my correct corn sugar weight for upwards of 10+ minutes to be sure to kill anything that could possibly contaminate the brew. I use approx 2 cups of water per 5 gallons Then once its nice and cool to about the same temp as the fermented fraction in the fermentation vessel, I add the priming sugar solution to my bottling bucket FIRST. Second Using my autosiphon, I transfer the beer from the vessel into the bottling bucket that already contains the priming sugar solution making sure to keep the output hose of the auto siphon below the sugar solution as to not oxygenate the beer and sour it. Once you have transferred all of your beer into the bottling bucket you should have a good mixture of solutions BUT to be sure you can GENTLY stir the solution a few times with a SANITIZED spoon. Then bottle it :) after that happy drinking!

Cheers, Don

Here is a nice little reference chart of CO2 volume per style of beer:
British Style Ales 1.5 - 2.0 volumes
Belgian Ales - 1.9 - 2.4 volumes
American Ales/Lagers 2.2 - 2.7 volumes
Fruit Lambic 3.0 - 4.5 volumes
Porter, Stout 1.7 - 2.3 volumes
European Lagers 2.2 - 2.7 Volumes
Lambic 2.4 - 2.8 volumes
German Wheat Beer 3.3 - 4.5 volumes

You don't really need to boil the snot out of sugar solution to sanitize it. Sugar is dry & nasties need warmth,moisture & food to thrive. Besides, pasteurization happens in seconds @ 160F. And oxygenation to me tastes like musty,mold cardboard out of the basement,rather than sour,like an infection by wild yeast.

Back