Priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thearcher

Reaction score
What is the rule of thumb for the amount of sugar you need to add to a 5 gallon batch of beer before bottling? Is corn sugar needed or will regular granulated sugar work?

Thanks

Curtis

The typical kit has 4.5 to 5 oz of CORN sugar which produces approximately 2-2.5 volumes of co2. It's a slightly different amount for cane/table sugar. You can also choose to carb to stlye...because some beers have more or less carbonation that 2.5 volumes.

You should always measure sugar by weight rather than volume.

As revvy said most kits come with 5oz of corn sugar. If you don't have a scale and want to buy in bulk 3/4 of a cup will typically get you there.

Table sugar works fine- you should use 2/3 cup instead of the 3/4 used for corn sugar. You can calculate different volumes of CO2 for your beer using this online tool:

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

I don't know for sure, but would not recommend exceeding 3 volumes for glass bottles. I have gone to 3.5 in glass, but I don't know if I was just lucky or not.

Back