Priming Sugar Question for my 2nd brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gp68

Reaction score
Hi
I just bottled a Coopers European lager, which i fermented with 2 packs of Saflager S-23 at 10deg celsius for 27 days. It was my first brew ever and i used the Coopers carb drops, 2 for each 740ml bottle. The hydrometer sample i tasted was actually very clear and tasted really good( i had boiled in saaz and cascade hop pellets) but now my concern is carbonation. My second batch which i brewed a week later is a Thomas Coopers Selection Pilsner. I also used saaz hops, 1kg LDME and 2 pkgs of Saflager W23/70. It has also been fermenting at around 9-10deg celsius( i live in Norway an it was around 5-8 outside, the FV was in my shed wrapped with sleeping bags) and next weekend will be 4 weeks fermenting. I found the tastybrew priming calculator and when i select pilsner, 6 gallon batch and put in the 9 deg celsius. It gives me a 2.4CO2 volume but all negative numbers on the recommended priming sugars amount. I'm a total newbie so now i'm concerned that the first batch will be over carbed and can't figure out how much i should use to prime this next batch. I want to use glucose(brewing sugar)...would that be good or should i use something different?

Are you sure you switched the temperature units to Celsius? They default to Fahrenheit. When I punch in 2.4 volumes, 6 gallons, and 9°C, I get 3.7 oz dextrose or 3.6 oz sucrose. If I switch to Fahrenheit, I get negative numbers.

ooops....my mistake. Thanks. I noticed when i bottled the European lager with two Coopers Carb. drops, the beer was really cold, actually kind of frosted the bottles. Should i let my Pilsner get to room temp or does it really matter? Also I used 2 Coopers carb drops in the lager which by my calculations is 7.4 oz( 1/4 oz per bottle).....could that be to much and cause overcarbonation. Guess it's too late now anyway :)

Back