Priming sugar options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobby brewer

Will work for beer
Reaction score
Have been kicking around the idea of trying alternative sugars and such for priming my bottles. Anyone have good luck with this?

Last edited:
What kind of alternative sugars are you thinking of? Dextrose is what is usually recommended, but I have been using table sugar for years with great results. I have also used DME with good results, though I did find it took longer for the beer to carbonate with it. I have tasted beers primed with honey, molasses and maple syrup, they all work, the (not too) difficult part is figuring out the amount to use.

I've used candy syrup in English ESB which was quite tasty. It's harder to get the carbonation right though. Also agree that DME takes longer to carbonate and tastes 'green' for a while longer.

Going to try dark brown sugar and some vanilla to a batch of American wheat I have fermenting. Was curious what kind of results others have gotten. What was your thoughts on maple syrup being added?

Going to try dark brown sugar and some vanilla to a batch of American wheat I have fermenting. Was curious what kind of results others have gotten. What was your thoughts on maple syrup being added?
I honestly couldn't tell maple syrup had been used to prime the beer I tried. As RPh Guy said, the amount is too small to really add some flavour, although molasses in an English Ale can add a bit of flavour.

Back