Priming sugar issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyc50

Reaction score
I recently brewed a batch of beer. I used the 5oz of priming sugar that was provided with the kit. Problem is almost 2 weeks after bottling I have next to no carbonation. I dissolved it in water, brought it to a boil then added it to the bottling bucket. Racked the beer, a smooth stir for about a minute or two then I bottled. Stored at room temp for close to two weeks.

Any reason I have next to no carbonation? Anyway to remedy this other than popping ever bottle and adding coopers drops or kegging?

The room temp has a lot to do with this. Depending on the time of year, if the average temp in the house is say 68F, I've had some beers show almost no sign of carbonation after 2 weeks. At 70F or above, Ive had decent carbonation at 3 weeks and sometimes it took 4 weeks. But, I have never had a beer carbonate and ready in 2 weeks. You may be able to have a beer carbed in 2 weeks but you would have to keep it at higher temps like 73F-ish. It stays pretty cool in my house this time of year and carbing can be difficult when your on a time frame. I always allow 4 weeks to carb before I even think about refridgerating. This was my main reason to jump into kegging.

Good to know. I have it sitting in my garage at about 68 degree's. Maybe I'll bump the temp for a week or two then try another brew.

I typically keg but this is a bourbon breakfast stout. Its not really I beer I could burn through fast enough to keg.

Latest posts

Back