Priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrymanback92

Reaction score
So I made a hefe that had an OG of 1.049 and finished out at 1.010. I wanted a bit more body so I primed with Wheat DME(I don't have my notes in front of me do I don't know the exact measurement, prolly close to a cup). I mixed the DME and yeast when it cooled and it had started to fernent by the time I mixed it into the beer.(it was not at high krausen however) I also added in a different hefeweizen yeast strain during bottling to try to create abit more complexity in the finished product. I'm wondering how this is different then krausening? I know krausening is adding actively fermenting wort to carbonate, but isn't rehydrated DME w/fresh yeast technically krausening?

So I made a hefe that had an OG of 1.049 and finished out at 1.010. I wanted a bit more body so I primed with Wheat DME(I don't have my notes in front of me do I don't know the exact measurement, prolly close to a cup). I mixed the DME and yeast when it cooled and it had started to fernent by the time I mixed it into the beer.(it was not at high krausen however) I also added in a different hefeweizen yeast strain during bottling to try to create abit more complexity in the finished product. I'm wondering how this is different then krausening? I know krausening is adding actively fermenting wort to carbonate, but isn't rehydrated DME w/fresh yeast technically krausening?

I think krausening uses wort from the original boil.

I think krausening uses wort from the original boil.

Traditionally yes, or more commonly a small portion of the next fresh batch. But that's just how it's most often done.

I believe the definition to be simply priming with actively fermenting wort.

Back