Priming Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iagainsti

Reaction score
Just finished bottling an IPA I brewed about a month ago, and I think I may have ran into some issues when priming the batch. I added 3.5 oz of corn sugar to the bottling bucket anticipating around 4.5 gallons of beer. After getting everything of the trub and into the bucket with the priming solution I noticed that my final yield was around 3.75 gallons. The beer fermented around 63-64 degrees and was sitting in the garage at 60 degrees a few days before bottling.

When all is said in done its looking like I should be sitting at 2.7 volumes of C02. Should I be expecting some gushers?

I use the rule of thumb I learned from Yooper: use 0.75-1.0 oz per gallon of finished beer. You are in that range. No worries.

Yeah,it should be fine. But this is why I strain the chilled wort into the fermenter with a large,dual layer fine mesh strainer. It gets the excess gunk out & aerates the wort. then top off to recipe volume with water chilled in the fridge a day or two before brew day. This gets the 75F wort down to about 65F. Stir well to mix & pitch. This will give 5 gallons of beer with about 3/8" of trub & yeast on the bottom of primary by bottling day. Less trub losses equals more bottles of beer.

Thanks for the heads up. This was my first all grain batch , and I'm pretty stoked to see how it all turns out. It tasted great before going into the bottle, so we shall see. I was pretty bummed thinking I may have overcarbed it

Good call on the mesh strainer too. I used 5 oz of hop additions on brew day and then dry hopped another 2 oz so there was quite a bit of trub loss to account for.

I got the 10 1/4" strainer available at Midwest & Northern Brewer. It fits nicely on top of Cooper's fermenters & buckets. And with pb/pm biab with up to 8.3ozs of hops,the strainer def leaves a lot less trub/yeast in the bottom of primary at bottling time. It also helps aerate the wort while pouring through it.

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag clipped to the rim of my kettle when hopping. Add the hops to the bag at the appropriate time and swirl it around. Then pull it out during the cool down. I squeeze out most of the wort so I lose very little in the end to trub.

I also use 1 gallon paint strainer bags when dry hopping. I tie them closed with a little piece of string, with a couple of marbles inside so they sink. I did one with a few ounces in one bag once. It was difficult to get out of my better bottle. When I do a large amount it will go in a couple or several bags.

Yeah,I found that out when adding bourbon soaked oak chips to a stout in my 6G BB. Had to use a wider mouthed radiator funnel & a couple hop sacks for the 3ozs of chips. A pita to get in & out. But the BB is great for secondary oaking ime. Cleans out real easy,just a pain to get wet hop socks full of whatever in & out of'em.

So its been one week since I bottled. I cracked open a brew to see where everything was at and it taste perfect. I know I should probably relax and enjoy this homebrew, but now I am worried where this beer will be in another few weeks...There is a typical IPA's worth of carbonation already built up after one week of conditioning. Should I anticipate more?? It'd be a bummer because this is easily the best beer I've done.

Worse comes to worse I know the adjustments I need to make to get the volume and carbonation I want, so I can definitley do a "brew" over with this guy.

So its been one week since I bottled. I cracked open a brew to see where everything was at and it taste perfect. I know I should probably relax and enjoy this homebrew, but now I am worried where this beer will be in another few weeks...There is a typical IPA's worth of carbonation already built up after one week of conditioning. Should I anticipate more?? It'd be a bummer because this is easily the best beer I've done.

Worse comes to worse I know the adjustments I need to make to get the volume and carbonation I want, so I can definitley do a "brew" over with this guy.

No, once it carbs up it generally does stop when the priming sugar is consumed. If your beer was at a stable final gravity when you bottled, you're good!

Nice. This is good news... I have a tendency to turn into Anxiety Boy in many situations, so this brewing hobby should be healthy :cross:

Back