Priming Hefeweizen with 5g dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebbelwoi

Reaction score
I think I've finally found the sweet spot for bottle-carbing Hefeweizen. I pour 5g sachets of dextrose into each 500ml bottle, then fill and cap. I've tried 5g of table sugar, but I don't get the nice creamy snowball.

This is from the latest batch, with WLP351.

IMG00404.jpg

IMG00407.jpg

Anybody else have similar experiences?

Looks delicious! Where do you get bulk 5 g packs from? Do you notice a difference in flavor when using dextrose instead of sugar?

Looks delicious! Where do you get bulk 5 g packs from? Do you notice a difference in flavor when using dextrose instead of sugar?
I get them on Amazon Japan. They're marketed as energy boosts. I wonder if you could find them at GNC, iHerb, etc.

Depending on the highest temperature your beer reached during fermentation, 5g dextrose (corn sugar) achieves about 3.0-3.1 volumes of CO2 in a 500 mL bottle.

Brewfather tells me it's 3.2 volumes with a peak fermentation temperature of 20C/68F. The carbonation level is just right for my tastes, and I haven't had any problems with swingtops not being able to handle the pressure.

Depending on the highest temperature your beer reached during fermentation, 5g dextrose (corn sugar) achieves about 3.0-3.1 volumes of CO2 in a 500 mL bottle.

So 5 gs of dextrose per 500 ml bottle would be safe and not create bottle bombs? What amount would be best in a 355 ml bottle? I'm going to be switching to just 500 ml bottles but right now I'm still using 355 ml ones.

I think I've finally found the sweet spot for bottle-carbing Hefeweizen. I pour 5g sachets of dextrose into each 500ml bottle, then fill and cap. I've tried 5g of table sugar, but I don't get the nice creamy snowball.

This is from the latest batch, with WLP351.

View attachment 716292

View attachment 716293

Anybody else have similar experiences?
Looks great.... I'm also into bottle priming for several reasons. ... mainly being I don't want to expose the beer to too much oxygen (I read somewhere that a few brewers find doing this beneficial). I also have a bit of difficulty getting the amount just right. My scale isn't as accurate as it should be, so I use teaspoons and even it flat by scraping another spoon over top.
I would like to know the amount of dextrose for a 500ml in tsp. I have u
Screenshot_20220413-171343_Chrome.jpg
sed table sugar In the past, but I know that sugars weight is different than dextrose'
A conversation chart I found shows different values for water and sugar (obviously)
So, I guess table sugar has more water content and would need slightly more..

Latest posts

Back