Prime Tabs Discontinued?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNOmar

Reaction score
I just got my kegging system up, and off topic am LOVING it, but I still wish to bottle a 6-pack now and then. I don't wish to invest in a beer gun or other counterpressure fillers as they are a little pricey for the little I would use them. I remembered someone mentioning a product called Prime Tabs, but when I found their website I saw they were discontinued. Is there any other similar product or will I be spooning in small amounts of sugar?

Interesting. I'll have to see if my LHBS sells those. Thanks for the quick reply.

I keep a bag of Cooper's drops around for the occasional bottle. Seven years & I'm still on the first bag.

Thanks so much for posting this as I was about to prime/bottle 2 gallons of my pumpkin ale and didnt want to break out the calculator to find out how much corn sugar to use.

Anyone had good success with these tabs? How long do the bottles take to carb with the drops?

I ended up going with the Muntons Carb Tabs. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how long/ how well they work.

these are more for a last resort type of thing, i believe. from what i've read of other's use of them, they carbonate inconsistently, and it is generally better to use corn sugar well mixed for bottling.

that said, i have a bag i bought for 'just in case' types of things, and i have yet to open it. (i keg, and now have a beer gun)

UNOmar said:
I ended up going with the Muntons Carb Tabs. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how long/ how well they work.
A couple of weeks ago, one of our customers brought in a bottle of beer, that he used the Munton's carb tabs in, with an "interesting" problem. The beer carbonated just fine, except there were "floaters" in his beer. The LHBS owner and I decided that the floaters were tiny chunks of sugar, surrounded by some wax-like substance, preventing them from dissolving.

Beer tasted just fine, except for tiny crunchy pieces of sugar.

steve

skou said:
A couple of weeks ago, one of our customers brought in a bottle of beer, that he used the Munton's carb tabs in, with an "interesting" problem. The beer carbonated just fine, except there were "floaters" in his beer. The LHBS owner and I decided that the floaters were tiny chunks of sugar, surrounded by some wax-like substance, preventing them from dissolving.

Beer tasted just fine, except for tiny crunchy pieces of sugar.

steve

I just used some of these myself, and had that exact same problem. thats actually why I just found this posts, I was looking to see if anyone had the same problem and if it was normal... It doesnt look good to have a couple of little white floaters in my beer. I wont be using these anymore just because of that. I would guess maybe they were the centre of the tabs to give the sugar a base to build up on when they make the tabs. harmless, tasteless, but unsightly. how am I supposed to explain to my friends why my homemade beer has floaters in it when you never see that in any commercial beers

Back