Prime dose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcholfurbrains

Reaction score
Anyone heard anything about prime dose ? Bottled 6 beers with some last week hoping they would be ready for the Daytona race and just checked on them to find all 6 have two half dissolved shells floating in them. Anyone know anything about this?

What temp were the bottles conditioned at? I've never used them. They seem pretty pricey. Fizz drops (sugar drops) have worked very well for me at half the cost.

They are in a heated cupboard between 63-66. They were $20 at Midwest, needed to spend another $15 to get free shipping so I thought some thing like that would handy to have around. I shook the hell out of them and put them back in there , will see what happens for Sunday.

They are in a heated cupboard between 63-66. They were $20 at Midwest, needed to spend another $15 to get free shipping so I thought some thing like that would handy to have around. I shook the hell out of them and put them back in there , will see what happens for Sunday.

It can take 2 to 3 weeks for beer to carb. I've seen it happen first hand...even at 70ºF. This hobby sucks for anyone with zero patience (like me). I'm learning to chill and relax. :)

They have a lot of tinty bubbles in the but those shells are floating in there. Don't know if they will be gooey or what. They remind me of a shell some wood boring bug crawled out of.

Maybe you are supposed to crack that thing open and pour the contents into each bottle? That's the only thing I can think of because I know I wouldn't want that plastic capsule floating in my beer either.

I am currently using Prime Dose myself. I had bottled a beer that had similar results. I initially thought that you were not supposed to throw in the whole capsule. I was later informed that there was a bad batch that was sold to the public (I got a coupon to redeem from Midwest). The capsule itself was stored wrong. It won't harm your beer, yet everyone will say what the hell is that on the bottom. Now I pull apart the capsule and dump the contents into the bottle. As for the carbonating, yes this product takes a lot longer to carbonate. I am considering either trying priming sugar or drops to see if there is any difference.

I was later informed that there was a bad batch that was sold to the public (I got a coupon to redeem from Midwest). The capsule itself was stored wrong. It won't harm your beer, yet everyone will say what the hell is that on the bottom.
Do you know what the manufacturing date is on the bottle that was part of the bad batch? I just purchased some and used them, and am wondering if I have that batch or not. There is zero information on how to actually contact the manufacturer.

I would think that Midwest would have pulled them "off the shelf" if they knew or suspected there was a problem with them. Try contacting the manufacturer and give them the particulars.

I would think that Midwest would have pulled them "off the shelf" if they knew or suspected there was a problem with them. Try contacting the manufacturer and give them the particulars.

There is no contact information for the manufacturer.

I will have to check and get back to you this evening. If you bought them from Midwest Supplies, I would contact them. They maybe able to help you out. I still use them. I just have to pull apart the capsule.

Things are garbage. Over 4 weeks and never dissolved. Northern Brewer gave me a refund. Both northern brewer and the manufacturer knew of issue and choose to do nothing about it

NB gave me a refund and a new bottle, when I use them again I think I'll break open and just use the powder. Great idea, as I typically only bottle big beers that I have bulk aged 6+ months.

From a carbonation standpoint they were great, but the capsuls didn't dissolve in about 1/2 the bottles.

Do you know what the manufacturing date is on the bottle that was part of the bad batch? I just purchased some and used them, and am wondering if I have that batch or not. There is zero information on how to actually contact the manufacturer.
Manufactured date is 5/14 Lot # 403013

I contacted Midwest and they said they would give me a refund or another bottle and also make up for the batch of beer that I used it in. Just have to give them the lot#. By the way the lot# on the bottle I have is 408017 and MFG date of 10-14.

I contacted Midwest and they said they would give me a refund or another bottle and also make up for the batch of beer that I used it in. Just have to give them the lot#. By the way the lot# on the bottle I have is 408017 and MFG date of 10-14.

I have the same lot number and manufacturing date, and I just purchased a couple of weeks ago from Northern Brewer. They were unresponsive to my inquiry through their contact request form online.

If anyone has luck tracking down a phone number and/or email address for the manufacturer, it would be great if you could post it here.

EDIT:
I reached out to Northern Brewer about it, and they told me that Prime Dose is actually a product they developed. So, if you have issues with Prime Dose not dissolving, I would reach out to them about it.

If anyone has luck tracking down a phone number and/or email address for the manufacturer, it would be great if you could post it here.

EDIT:
I reached out to Northern Brewer about it, and they told me that Prime Dose is actually a product they developed. So, if you have issues with Prime Dose not dissolving, I would reach out to them about it.

Well that might explain why they will post my negative review of the product. I noticed that Midwest also carries prime dose.....are they also part of the development?

Well that might explain why they will post my negative review of the product. I noticed that Midwest also carries prime dose.....are they also part of the development?

No idea. I didn't ask if any other entity was involved. I was told, however, that they have pulled the product from the shelf and will be working on coming up with a new method to deliver yeast/sugar together without the use of the cellulose capsule. It seems that the cellulose crystallizes, which causes it to remain in tact and not break down.

Bummer I have been using prime dose since it came out on my small batches. This explains the little floating bits I saw last week when I check on the latest bottles.
FWIW I have kept the bottle in the fridge. Guess I'll start cracking the capsules open.

Thanks for all the info!

:mug:

Back