Prime & Bottle directly from conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenoMeno

Reaction score
Is it possible to prime right in the conical, and bottle through the port, or should I rack to a bottling bucket and add the primer there?:mug:

Presuming your question means can I prime in primary and bottle or do I need to rack the answer is yes.

There are a couple of reasons it's recommended to rack whn bulk priming. One is to take the beer off the yeast and reduce any sediment. Another is to make sure the priming solution mixes correctly.

I do not usually rack to bulk prime, however in most instances I have already previously racked to a secondary vessel. I make sure my sugar is properly dissolved as sugar in solution will diffuse much better than a cup of sugar thrown straight in. I then stir gently and wait around 30 minutes before bottling.

Short answer is you can - just be mindful of the reaons for and against.

Disclaimer - As I don't use conical fermenters, I cant swear that there is no other reason for not doing it from them. Australian fermenters tend to be plastic, flat bottomed things.

Back