Primary in a Rye Whiskey Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellody

Reaction score
I am the recent recipient of a 15 gallon fresh rye whiskey barrel from a local distillery. I am trying to decide what to put into it and have had a few other local brewers and homebrewers who have aged been in these barrels with varying results. These barrels are very "hot" and aging beer in them fir the first time, for a long time imparts almost 100% booze.

In conversations with my LHBS someone recommended conducting primary fermentation in the barrel. This is due to a competition we want to enter using the barrel, and a short time frame to do so. My question is:

Is there any real benefit to primary ferm in a wood barrel? I see his point, but not sure.

Can there be a downside to primary in the barrel, except having to clean the SOB out after?

I'm preparing to do something somewhat similar, minus the primary ferm part.

I picked up 3-5 liter toasted American Oak barrels from eBay. I'm planning on trying different things with all three. This is the first one where I'll age a white rum to tame some of the barrels toast components. Then it will be used to barrel condition various ales and stouts, maybe a lager to two later on.

The picture below was taken yesterday. I'll sample a dribble or two every evening or so as it develops, then return the rum to the bottles.

The other two will get something similar, maybe age some red wine or something like a brandy, for a nice quad.

But the one I'm most excited about will be making an oatmeal stout that also has my own home roasted coffee or perhaps espresso added in secondary, then racked to the oak barrel to blend and hopefully soften and come together wonderfully.

_MG_8851.jpg

I would not do the primary in the barrel, but would recommend using it for a short secondary. The first use of a fresh barrel only takes a week or two in secondary, I taste every day to make sure it is not overwhelmed. Distilleries typically age in oak at 2x normal strength then dilute post aging, this gives very strong booze for the first use of a barrel. Plus the primary in the barrel would leave significant amount of yeast behind which could affect subsequent uses. 1 week primary and 1 week or so in the barrel would likely be perfect.

Back