First Time Barrel Aging!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwitty

Reaction score
I just purchased a recently emptied 10 gallon bourbon barrel from a local distillery by the name of 5 & 20. I am not new to drinking wood aged beer, however making it is another thing. I am not set on a peticular beer but would like some input to maybe increase my odds at something drinkable. Obviously I've been thinking strong and dark but I am open to ideas. What types of recipies are best for a first go with a barrel?

Anything not an IPA!

I would put a pale mixed Brett sour in there in a heartbeat, but that's me.

Barrel Aged Stouts are one of my favorite things to drink so I'd suggest that but I've had good barrel aged quads. Whatever you put it make sure it will benefit from the sweet of bourbon and that it has enough flavor to stand up and still be noticed at the end.

In MY opinion, each barrel should be treated as if it has it's own lifespan.

When you first get it, it will be very oak and spirit expressive. As such, I've found the best beers to go with those flavors are dark, bold ones: stouts, porters, browns, smokeys, etc. The more you use the barrel, though, the more it'll lose that expressive oak/spirit flavor, and you can age things in it longer without fear of over oaking. Or, lighter and lighter beers can be aged in it without the same fear.

You could recharge the spirit flavor by soaking liquors in the barrel between batches, but eventually, you'll "use up" the barrel after so many "clean" batches. THIS is when I typically change over the barrel to a sour program and start using it to house all the beautiful bugs to facilitate long-term mixed ferment sour beers.

My regimen usually looks something like this:
Imperial stout -> oatmeal stout -> brown ale -> saison -> [sour changeover] -> dark sour -> oud bruin -> lighter sours (lambic-type)

I would try a "Bourbon Barrel Porter"...maybe add some Vanilla Beans...Make it of a higher gravity for longer ageing in the barrel.
Good luck! Can't wait to see what you decide on.

I've got my first barrel, a 15 gal American oak rye barrel, going right now. We chose a RIS for the first "scrubbing" beer, then it's going sour - Flanders red solera, probably later this fall.

I've gone imperial stout -> barleywine with mine, and I'll probably do a "tropical" brown ale in there next. If there's any bourbon character left after that I'm thinking an ESB or something, and then I'm going to move my sour solera in there.

In MY opinion, each barrel should be treated as if it has it's own lifespan.

When you first get it, it will be very oak and spirit expressive. As such, I've found the best beers to go with those flavors are dark, bold ones: stouts, porters, browns, smokeys, etc. The more you use the barrel, though, the more it'll lose that expressive oak/spirit flavor, and you can age things in it longer without fear of over oaking. Or, lighter and lighter beers can be aged in it without the same fear.

You could recharge the spirit flavor by soaking liquors in the barrel between batches, but eventually, you'll "use up" the barrel after so many "clean" batches. THIS is when I typically change over the barrel to a sour program and start using it to house all the beautiful bugs to facilitate long-term mixed ferment sour beers.

My regimen usually looks something like this:
Imperial stout -> oatmeal stout -> brown ale -> saison -> [sour changeover] -> dark sour -> oud bruin -> lighter sours (lambic-type)
Thank you. Looks like you've been doing this awhile. I was already planning on sours in the future. I guess I find there is a lack of solid info on aging in barrels in the forums. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? Where did you learn from when you started?
Also, I've been leaning toward an imperial stout. I'd like to try a recipe that will compliment the barrel. I found some info saying to stay away from a sweeter stout. They suggested the bourbon and the oak add a sweetness and it can become too sweet. Any truth to that? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Cactusgarrett gives good advice. I would add that you need to care for the barrel as a fragile fermentation vessel. Before you add beer inspect the condition of the barrel. Does it look like it has leaks? If so you need to figure out if the barrel has defects or just needs to be swollen with liquid to tighten up the staves. Does it smell weird inside? If so, it is going to make beer with that same weird smell/flavor. Plan to move one beer in as a beer moves out so it does not dry out or have an opportunity to develop off flavors from oxidative fermentation reactions (e.g. acetic, ethyl acetate).

Where did you learn from when you started?
Milk the Funk wiki is the bible when it comes to sour stuff. Also, if/when you change to sour, depending on the size of the barrel, you may want to consider waxing it to prevent over-oxygenation. For a 10 gallon one, you're probably going to be best served waxing at least half of it if you plan on 1 year+ storage. I typically don't do sweet stouts, so I have no experience on how they behave in barrels. I did an oatmeal stout recently, and backed way off on the roast (almost to a fault), but that scored in the lower 40s in a competition, so it's absolutely an option. I haven't really thought the barrel/bourbon added a sweetness, but my palate might not be as refined as those that are suggesting this.

Here's a place to start with barrel stuff. How to handle, clean, sanitize, plan, etc.
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Barrel

Milk the Funk wiki is the bible when it comes to sour stuff. Also, if/when you change to sour, depending on the size of the barrel, you may want to consider waxing it to prevent over-oxygenation. For a 10 gallon one, you're probably going to be best served waxing at least half of it if you plan on 1 year+ storage. I typically don't do sweet stouts, so I have no experience on how they behave in barrels. I did an oatmeal stout recently, and backed way off on the roast (almost to a fault), but that scored in the lower 40s in a competition, so it's absolutely an option. I haven't really thought the barrel/bourbon added a sweetness, but my palate might not be as refined as those that are suggesting this.

Here's a place to start with barrel stuff. How to handle, clean, sanitize, plan, etc.
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Barrel
Sweet! Thank you. I'll start digging into their wiki tonight.

Back