Primary forgotten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeTrott

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed an IPA and forgot I stored it in my basement in the primary bucket. Airlock is in tact and it's been sitting in my San Francisco basement over a year I'm afraid. Temp between 48 and 68 f depending upon time of year. Should I bottle it or toss it?

How do you forget a beer for a year? I check mine twice a day for two weeks, keg it, and within 48 hours I’m finally enjoying thee fruits of my labor! This stuff is way too exciting to forget a batch.

Anyway, yea if there’s still some water in the air lock and it wasn’t infected from the start it should be just fine. Hop aroma and probably flavor will have faded but you should still have drinkable beer. Might want to add some more yeast for bottle conditioning just because a year is a long time to make those little guys wait.

I got sick. My distal ureter shriveled up and created a reflux so my kidney absorbed without draining for over 2 years they think. Now my ureter is stainless. Doc recommended I drink beer, says it helps with the urinary tract. I guess it helps keep the system clean, helps avoid stones and he says the carbonation helps with the pain , which unfortunately is a daily occurrence now. So, I went to my basement to break out my brew stuff and surprise, right next to my cases of bottles and under my mash tun and still, a bucket of gold. Imagine my surprise. Thanks for all the suggestions, I will put them to good use

I got sick. My distal ureter shriveled up and created a reflux so my kidney absorbed without draining for over 2 years they think. Now my ureter is stainless. Doc recommended I drink beer, says it helps with the urinary tract. I guess it helps keep the system clean, helps avoid stones and he says the carbonation helps with the pain , which unfortunately is a daily occurrence now. So, I went to my basement to break out my brew stuff and surprise, right next to my cases of bottles and under my mash tun and still, a bucket of gold. Imagine my surprise. Thanks for all the suggestions, I will put them to good use

Sorry to hear about your health issues, however I must say I love your doctor and their medical opinion. Smell, taste and if it's worth saving dry hop that bad boy and see what the Rip Van Winkle IPA turns out like!

@JoeTrott Can I get the name of your doc? The Bay isnt that far away from Sacramento. Best wishes on the recovery. Keep us updated on the results. I love a good forgotten beer story.

@JoeTrott Can I get the name of your doc? The Bay isnt that far away from Sacramento. Best wishes on the recovery. Keep us updated on the results. I love a good forgotten beer story.

Dr. Marshall Stoller at UCSF Urology 400 Parnassus ave. San Francisco(415) 353-2200/2452 (hope you never need him though)
He is a man of few words but he has Magic hands. He deemed me in the top 2 worst he has ever seen case wise.

You may have serious Autolysis on your hands with this one. That dead yeast has been rotting for a year. The only way to tell is the taste test. If it seems ok dry hop it and bottle or keg. Its worth a shot.

Damn, that’s a hell of a story. I guess with all of that going onnit’s understandable. Sounds like you have a good doc though. Can’t wait to hear how this batch turned out!

Hope the health stays in an upward trajectory for you. Sounds like you have a great doctor, even without the beer recommendation.

Agree with others in tasting it and dry hoping it before you package it.

If it's a keeper, whatta gonna name it? Marshall's Medicine, Doctors Orders, Survivor, and El Ano all come to mind.

No liquid in airlock when I checked but I popped the lid anyway and found a beautiful Amber color without blemish and it smells delightful. I immediately put vodka in the lock. It should be ok to taste?

Oops learning this phone
1536808814241.jpeg

Wow! Thats great to hear. Bet those dry hops will make it shine.

In your photo it appears theres something crystalized floating on the top. Does it actually appear that way or is it some left over yeast rafts?

Agree on the 3-5 day wait. Wouldn’t go longer. Would shorten to 48hrs if time will be an issue.

Back