Primary Bucket Volume Measurements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
OK, it's Sunday and I got bored...

Long story short, I added water (using a 1/2 g measuring cup) and poured it into my buckets to verify volume levels pre-printed on the pails.

These NEW lines WILL BE transferred to my pails. Repeating this process for your pails may be something to think about.

Here are the results: Lines on tape are the measurements I got.

Pail 1: Frosting bucket from WalMart bakery.
Pail 2: Brewersbestkit pail.
Pail 3: Generic "Ail Pail".

100_5748.JPG

^^^^
Exactly.

When making a dipstick or otherwise calibrating vessels, I would never use a volumetric measuring device to transfer measurements, that is, trust someone else's marks on a pitcher or bucket. That's exactly the problem you started with. I weigh my increments of water and then mark where they come up to. One gallon of room temperature water weighs 8.34 pounds, or even more precisely, 3785 grams. If you have a good scale for weighing your grains, use it to calibrate kettles, fermentors, etc.

[EDIT To make sure we're on the same page, I'm referring to US gallons.]

Last edited:
That's actually 3778.7 grams. Don't forget one of several anomalies of water. ;)

Last edited:
????
20200218_115911.jpg

So *possibly* as low as 3780 depending on your definition of room temperature, but water will never weigh anywhere close to your figure.

Last edited:
I was going with 20°C. My (Windows) calculator says 3785.41X0.99823=3778.7098243

Crap, I see now where a typo slipped in. Fixed it.

And the upshot is, if you just take 3785g as a gallon of water, across the wide range of temperatures we might expect of tap water from place to place and season to season: in the worst case, over 5 gallons, you'll still be off by around a tablespoon, which is a heck of a lot better than those buckets!

+1
I would use a volumetric flask if I wanted to be accurate. This could be used to calibrate the scale. So far, I haven't seen the need to go that far.
IME flasks are only vaguely approximate, as per their disclaimers. Scales are easy to calibrate. All you need is a reference weight. But we can more safely assume that the factory calibration of a scale is accurate. Unlike flasks, pitchers, and pails, they are intended to be used as precision measuring tools.
View media item 70841

Last edited:
A scale might be better than a graduated cylinder (or not) depends on the accuracy of the device doing the measuring. That's what you need to know before judging. Maybe most scales are better than measuring cups, flasks, beakers etc. but its not guaranteed.

The other thing is, if you are just measuring gallons, perhaps how far off the volume measurement device is compared to the scale is unimportant. For instance off by a few fluid ounces vs grams.

Definitely reasonable to check the buckets though.

IME flasks are only vaguely approximate, as per their disclaimers.

Volumetric flasks are pretty accurate. This one https://www.amazon.com/Volumetric-G...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863980029287&psc=1 is a 500 ml volumetric flask with a tolerance of +/- 0.25 ml. I agree you can calibrate a scale and figure in the density, but straight volume seems simpler to me. It's a shame that some buckets are so inaccurate - doesn't seem like it would cost much to have the volume marks reasonably accurate.

i'm just here to find out what picture won't show up? lol but got a laugh out of worring about a 1/4" on a bucket......

Also, when you purchase your volumetric flasks... make sure your table is level.

And before someone else says it, make sure your level is, um... level.

Nah, it's just an illustration of the fact that any vessel that says "measurements are approximate" really does mean that. And every bucket or pail I've ever bought, from homebrew retailers, paint stores, etc., as well as labware, has included that disclaimer. So the OP is doing what we all should do, trust nothing, calibrate it yourself. And thanks to the guys who posted my picture, since my upload kept failing.

Back